Soft sander

Bill McQueen

I had a thought the other day after looking at pneumatic drum sanders and their prices.

1. I took a piece of that 3/4 inch foam pipe insulation with a spit in it.

2. 3/4 in broom handle cut to about 12 inches long.

3. Glued it inside insulation with about 1/4 of dowel sticking out each end.

4. Wrapped sticky back sand paper around insulation ( mine was a roll 31/2
wide 180 grid)

5. Made sure all sandpaper going in one direction. Glued the ends when it was wrapped.

6. Made center marks on the ends of the broom dowel.

7. Put in on my lathe with the sandpaper heading in the right direction

8. Fired it up and did some nice profile sanding.

9. Approximate cost nearly nothing had a 4 ft piece of insulation and had the dowel sandpaper maybe 20 cents

10. Runs easily between spur and tail stock

Try it I think you'll like it :D

Bill

Well Don I guess I didn't know the rule. it's a little petty to me. I can't find the cord to upload and pictures so I can't share my idea

Really.??????????? :(

I've got my big boy pants on. but if that's the little rule I'll try and follow it.

Well Don I guess I didn't know the rule. it's a little petty to me. I can't find the cord to upload and pictures so I can't share my idea

Really.??????????? :(

I've got my big boy pants on. but if that's the little rule I'll try and follow it.

Don't feel bad, Bill. It's definitely not a rule! Don harasses everyone for pictures. It's one of his major faults. :D:D He once asked for pix of a box that something was being shipped in. :dunno::dunno:

I got a very good picture (in my mind's eye) of what you built, and if I was a lathe user, I'd even consider making one.:):)

Don't feel bad, Bill. It's definitely not a rule! Don harasses everyone for pictures. It's one of his major faults. :D:D He once asked for pix of a box that something was being shipped in. :dunno::dunno:

I got a very good picture (in my mind's eye) of what you built, and if I was a lathe user, I'd even consider making one.:):)

If asking for pics is one of my major faults then I am blessed, in term of pics as you know it m,akes it easier to understand what the heck ZU are talking about so it has been an un written rule NO PIC, DiD'T Happen.

Let's calm down a bit here, I agree with Don I'm a visual guy myself, but Don we have to reasonable and not be too quick to flame someone. There maybe circumstances with which we might not be aware of (like in my case I couldn't find my camera cable to upload anything) I've put it behind me Don I hope you have too.

Jim thanks for keeping us on a straight line

Thanks for the tip Bill.

I made what you described and it worked perfectly.

The only change I made is I made mine a little longer and used 2 different grades of paper. The stuff I got at Klingspors worked well

Thanks for the tip....it was a great one!:thumb:

No pictures ......no camera.....:D

Here is a picture finally. I had a terrible time getting it to a size it would up load.

Attachments

• Flexable sander.jpg
    Flexable sander.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 62
Well Jim, I have only used a pneumatic drum sander once, so my experience is rather limited. I was taught to hold the work piece at an angle somewhat underneath the drum ( I guess that also depends on the direction of the rotation) and the piece that I was working on needed some room to shape the outside profile. Hence, I figured one would need ample amount of room to sand a large work piece.:dunno:

I made a stubby version the with of the sandpaper 31/2 inch wide I going to shave some strips off the insulation and glue them to a smaller dowel to be able to do small sanding with a soft touch. Yah I know pic's right. :rofl:

Thanks for you feedback.