I had a thought the other day after looking at pneumatic drum sanders and their prices.
1. I took a piece of that 3/4 inch foam pipe insulation with a spit in it.
2. 3/4 in broom handle cut to about 12 inches long.
3. Glued it inside insulation with about 1/4 of dowel sticking out each end.
4. Wrapped sticky back sand paper around insulation ( mine was a roll 31/2
wide 180 grid)
5. Made sure all sandpaper going in one direction. Glued the ends when it was wrapped.
6. Made center marks on the ends of the broom dowel.
7. Put in on my lathe with the sandpaper heading in the right direction
8. fired it up and did some nice profile sanding.
9. approximate cost nearly nothing had a 4 ft piece of insulation and had the dowel sandpaper maybe 20 cents
10. Runs easily between spur and tail stock
Try it I think you'll like it