Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crummy Couple of Weeks

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Crummy Couple of Weeks

I've just recently had a crummy couple of weeks which is why I haven't been around much lately. But out of a long list of things, the one thing that's bothering me the most (as of today anyway ) is that an old friend of mine is getting divorced after 28 years of marriage.

This is a couple that I always looked up to as the example of the "perfect" marriage. Happy, well-adjusted, great kids, great life. That was my ideal, what I aspired to. So now, to learn that they've been unhappy for years....it's very sad for me--my dream has, poof, vanished.

How do you reconcile the loss, that something wasn't what you always thought it was? Do you know what I mean?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

you may never find out the real truth.

My parents did that...for whatever reason, 25 years seems to be a freaky number for divorce. Pattern after the good stuff and leave out the bad! We accomplish this by me always getting the last word..."Yes Dear". Keep your chin up because it's not you.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Cynthia, sorry to hear that, it is a sad situation. I would say keep your old friend and don't let them down at a time when help, and true friends are needed. You can't always know what people are going through in their lives, nor should we know. If they want you to know what happened they will tell you when the time is right.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Charles, I know you're right. I am totally supportive of her--I'm just sad.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Divorce is almost always a sad thing...when it's a couple you've thought were perfect it makes it even worst. I've gone thru the same, although they were only together for half the amount of time. Not fun at all, but maybe it's best for both of them...I'm trying to see any good in a bad time I guess.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

sorry to hear about your friend's breakup but glad that you are back on the forum.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Hang in there Cynthia, and simply be present for your friend. It is very disrupting when something like this happens. Perhaps as she looks back, your friend will know she did the right thing for herself....and like Allen said - what goes on behind closed doors is often a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Hang in there Cynthia, and simply be present for your friend. It is very disrupting when something like this happens. Perhaps as she looks back, your friend will know she did the right thing for herself....and like Allen said - what goes on behind closed doors is often a mystery.

Ken said it perfectly
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Your sadness is understandable. Even your friends may not understand why divorce happens after so many years of marriage. Your friendship will be very important for your friend--sometimes being a good listener is the most valuable gift you can imagine.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi