Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save Phonehenge!

I read an article in the LA Times about this guy a week or two ago. Definitely a unique guy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I wonder if I could get that guy to mentor me?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I wonder if I could get that guy to mentor me?
    I don't know...looks like he's got quite a few unfinished projects going at the same time...you two might compliment each other.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I don't have any sympathy, zero, for that guy. He's the perfect example of jackleg home builders. And he wants to make that thing a tourist attraction! Can you imagine the outcry that would occur if someone was killed or seriously injured when part of it collapsed?

There are very good reasons for building codes, including standing up in earthquakes and having some fire resistance when the wildfires burn.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike you may be completely correct, but I don't pretend to know the details.

I hope that whatever happens is fair, and not the result of some small man in a small job on a big power trip. In the last few years I've seen so many really stupid cases of some "Official" sticking to the letter of the law/code well past the point of farce.

I guess that is what you get for living in California
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

From what I understand, when he bought the land, it was out in the middle of nowhere. (Acton, CA. It's still pretty far out in the sticks.) I think that explains some of his "I'll build what I want and how I want" mentality. Doesn't necessarily make it right, but explains it. Personally, I don't have a problem with him building it however he wants, but as soon as he starts talking about opening it up to the public, my opinion changes, and I agree with Mike. Building codes are there for a reason.

workingwoods.com

There was another case in this area recently. A guy pulled a permit for a deck but when he built it, he went further out (over a hillside) and higher (it was a covered deck) than the permit allowed. When the inspector did the inspection, he red tagged it.

The guy went to the city council and begged for a variance. They put him through hoops, and it costs him extra money, but they granted most of what he had done.

I haven't seen things being totally unreasonable around here. In fact, I sometime think they allow to much "after the fact" - it encourages people to ask for forgiveness rather than for permission when they can't get what they want the first time.

The city council is elected and will usually try to work with someone because they want to be seen as reasonable. (in his case I think it's county officials)

I've followed this "phonehenge" thing and that guy will just not work with the officials. I think that once he started getting publicity he just dug in his heels thinking the publicity would force the officials to give him a variance.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ...I've followed this "phonehenge" thing and that guy will just not work with the officials. I think that once he started getting publicity he just dug in his heels thinking the publicity would force the officials to give him a variance...
    I agree with you, Mike. The county officials have apparently tried real hard to work with the guy, and it seems he ignored them hoping they'd just go away. Then when they made it clear they were not going to give up, he started yelling "Watts Towers!" and trying to make his place a landmark of some sort.

workingwoods.com

Definitely a Wacko. Opening it to the public should not be allowed, and like the tree forts I built as a kid, entering is definitely at your own risk.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash