question about attaching raised panel sections to wall

allen levine

After I glue up a handrail and strip the back door paint this week(hopefully), Im going to take off the wainscote panels(that are looking cruddy these days) off the built in window bench/seat in my den. I want to build 2 color raised panel frames, walnut frames, maple panels to match my coffee table, and redo the thing.
The base section Im changing from lift off lid storage, to raised panels cabinet doors in front.(accessing the storage was always crud because you had to remove all the cushions, the padding, then lift out a plywood lid) I will be able to attach the frame to them directly to the 2x4 frame underneath it, or add some pieces to frame out what I need to attach the walnut frame from the back. the seatback panels, which go under the windows to the seat/bench, are against the wall. How would I attach the walnut panels to the wall without any hardware showing. I dont think liquid glue is my answer.You really dont see the back panels since they are covered with pillows, but Id like to do it right if I can.

I didnt want to, but if I had no choice Id add a small piece of walnut round over moulding where I put the red dotted lines. Id screw the panels to the wall, then pin nail the small moulding over the screw heads. I dont know why Im stuck on this, brain freeze or something, I just want to know where Im going before I start cutting lumber.

25 years ago on a small budget it worked for us, same cruddy house, but Id like to try to make it look better. I could always nail back some panelling if I mess up. The white floor molding was a disaster the day we put it in, tried to match all the other white base molding, but I knew its coming out so I left it.

Attachments

• bed 489 (Medium).jpg
    bed 489 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 50
  • bed 490 (Medium).jpg
    bed 490 (Medium).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
If you aare going with solid wood panels they need to float or they may split.
You may consider building them like you would a cabinet door or passage door. then you can glue the stiles and rails to the wall allowing the panels free movement

One thing I have done, when I couldnt nail or clamp something, was to use construction adhesive like the liquid nails or pl premium polyurethane adhesive (my choice) Apply the adhesive but leave spaces scattered around the surface to be glued then put krazy glue (you will need a couple of bottles) on the clean spots, press and hold the piece to the wall till the krazy glue sets and it will hold your pieces in place till your adhesive sets up.

the panel has to sit flat against the wall. the paneling there now is nailed over the sheetrock.
Im not really sure a french cleat would work here for zero gap.
I think the liquid nail stuff will do with a pin right under the sill and at the bottom below the cushion line where it wont be seen. Pins to secure it until the liquid adhesive sets.