Thread: Think this will work.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

Think this will work.

My MIL asked me to turn a urn for my FIW. Well i tried to get started and as the piece is fairly large i thought i needed a steedy rest. Well being the cheep person i am i decided to make one instead of putting out big bucks to buy one. Well this is what i came up with. might put some walnut vaneer on the BB ply as i have some just sitting around. Don't like the wheels but i had them and can't seem to find any rollar blades any where. Will keep looking for some, but thought these would do till i can come up with some.Thanks and if i did something wrong, or need to do something different please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006 [800x600].JPG  

Looks really good to me!

Maybe you want to put a bit of wax or something on the bolts that go through the wheels, then again if they are nylon, they should self lube fairly well, but they might be noisy.

I just searched E-bay for "Inline Skate Wheels" and LOTS of hits came back.

You might have to buy a set of 8 or something, just make sure you get them with the ball bearings. Skateboard wheels (again the kind with ball bearings) work well too!

it is not a bad idea to age a set of 8 or so, as they do wear out, the wheels wear on the wood, so if you end up using your steady rest a fair bit, you might need another set of wheels.

Looks great!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Looks really good to me!

Maybe you want to put a bit of wax or something on the bolts that go through the wheels, then again if they are nylon, they should self lube fairly well, but they might be noisy.

I just searched E-bay for "Inline Skate Wheels" and LOTS of hits came back.

You might have to buy a set of 8 or something, just make sure you get them with the ball bearings. Skateboard wheels (again the kind with ball bearings) work well too!

it is not a bad idea to age a set of 8 or so, as they do wear out, the wheels wear on the wood, so if you end up using your steady rest a fair bit, you might need another set of wheels.

Looks great!
    Thanks Stu i never thought of skate boards. i think my son might still have 1 or 2 old ones hiding around here. Again thanks.

Looks pretty good to me. In line skates or skate boards work well. I bought a pair of in line skates from the goodwill store for $2.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks great and it reminds me that i need to get my butt in gear and put together the one I was making before I started doing the million other things that I have to do around the house. I found sets of roller blades at the local Salvation Army and St Vincent De Paul thrift stores.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

That's real good! I need some skill...or more $$. Looks like it should do the job!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Thanks Bernie, Drew. As i havn't made it to he city yet. Live 34 miles away, but will have to go there monday, as it's back to work time .Will check at the goodwill and see if they have any, that's if my son got rid of all his skate boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    That's real good! I need some skill...or more $$. Looks like it should do the job!
    Ha Jim i took a bunch of pics if you want to see how i did it. It's real easy so i know if i can do it you can to.

I know I'd like to see your process pictures.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

I diffidently need to build one. Just don't seem to get to it. Been many cases when it would be a great help. That's a nice one, should work great. I saved these plans, a long time ago.

http://azwoodturners.org/SteadyRest.pdf
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 06-19-2011 at 04:14 AM.
    "We the People ......"