Help identifying Japanese hand planes

Matt Ducar

My dad picked these up for me at an estate sale today. He figured for $8 each, he couldn't go too wrong.

This is the best picture I have so far -- when they make the trip from St. Louis to Boston, I can post better if these aren't good enough. I'd like to get an idea of who made them and how old they are.

album.php

Attachments

• planes.jpg
    planes.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 47
I see similar planes in the DIY stores here. Nothing special, but if they are sharp, they should work for him.

Greg

Got to agree with Greg, these are "User" tools, great for $8 each, bet they would sell new for much closer to $100, so get them sharp, and learn how to use them, they will perform well! :thumb:

Thanks! I figured with a few family members in Japan, someone would recognize them.

I got a call from my Dad this past Saturday saying "I'm at an estate sale. There are two Japanese hand planes here for $8 each. Should I buy them?". That's all the info he had for me :pullhair::pullhair:

I figured I've blown $16 on far worse in my life :doh:. At the worst I could convert them into scrub planes. :thumb: