more spinny stuff....

Dan Noren

Staff member
started in on more spinny stuff last night. decided to use up the batch of maple blanks that i had ordered earlier. after cleaning up the ends, the look a bit more promising. i started in around 7:30 pm, and finished up around 10:30 pm, and got 19 of the 30 blanks turned to round. will have pics of them today, as i didn't have the camera with me last night.

As a very amateur woodturner I am fascinated by the fact that you turned a bazillion blanks to round. To me this means that you now have a bunch of round wood that has not been made into finished products.

Why do you do it this way instead of making a finished turning, then doing another finished turning? By finished, I mean completely turned, not varnished or whatever.

Enjoy,

Jim

well jim, i look at turning as a series of steps. step 1 being cutting the blank to size, step 2 mounting it between centers and turn it to a cylinder, step 3 decide what to make. what i did yesterday, is to eliminate steps 1 and 2, so that i can procede right to step 3. that, and i wanted to see what was hiding under such ugly blanks, and i do mean they were ugly.

here are the pics i promised. the scene of the crime, the 19 blanks turned to round and ready to be used, the 11 blanks i couldn't get to (being 10:30 at night), all 30 blanks ready to be used, and 4 sides of the first vase to be turned from the ugly maple.

one thing i found out about this one, is that there is a fairish amount of figuring, and some odd grain. when i took the pics, it is still attached to the rest of the blank, and not parted off. not the best of pics, but good for the moment.

Attachments

• scene of yesterdays crime.jpg
    scene of yesterdays crime.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 22
  • yesterdays 19 rounded blanks.jpg
    yesterdays 19 rounded blanks.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 22
  • the 11 blanks not turned.jpg
    the 11 blanks not turned.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 21
  • all 30 blanks turned to round.jpg
    all 30 blanks turned to round.jpg