Wood from Mike Smith

Well just left Mike Smith's in Bailey, NC. Did get a load of wood from him. I have two totes and 2 boxes full of wood. Now I just have to get back and do some turning. Well maybe after a couple of weeks at the beach in Atlantic Beach, NC.:rofl: Anyway Mike is a super great guy and a good friend. He has two barns full of turning wood and his claro walnut is second to none.

Attachments

• Mike Smith Wood 1.jpg
    Mike Smith Wood 1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Mike Smith wood 2.jpg
    Mike Smith wood 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Mike Smith Wood 3.jpg
    Mike Smith Wood 3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Mike Smith Wood 6.jpg
    Mike Smith Wood 6.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Mike Smith Wood 5.jpg
    Mike Smith Wood 5.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 39
I do at that. He has a lot of wood and it is best to call him via his cellphone. He will be going to the AAW symposium in Minnesota. Here it is. He says he needs to do a better job on his site but he has most of it in stock. He goes to the west coast a lot to gather wood. I have had pretty good luck also with e-mail.

http://www.centurytreeturnings.com/

All of the wood the guys in my class this week came from Mike.

He sent some absolutely magnificent myrtle blanks about half of which have curl. So do some of the ambrosia maple blanks. The magnolia with a little spalting is incredible. We have been dying and liming ash blanks.

Thanks a lot Mike! The guys are really making your wood look good!:thumb:

You are right Mike. He does have some excellent wood. Just needed more time and more money. The LOML had a pretty tight grip on the bank account.:rofl: Although she did let me spend around $275 on wood.:thumb:

Mike is a great source....

I spent the majority of my money with Mike at last year's SWAT symposium in Waco, TX. He had 2 huge shipping boxes and didn't have enough table space to unload them all. I must have bought on 5 different occassions as he kept digging out new stuff. His Claro Walnut and Figured Redwood was stellar. Great guy, great prices.

I just checked and he is on the vendor list for SWAT this year, too. Since I didn't buy and Koa or Milo in Kauai last week on vacation, maybe I can get the LOML to double my budget.

Frankly, I don't need more wood. Dang vortex.

Well maybe after a couple of weeks at the beach in Atlantic Beach, NC.:rofl:

Bernie, does your return route bring you through KY by chance? If it does, I'd love to meet you in person. I might even have a piece of KY wood laying around that I could let you take across the state line (I don't give ash away any more). Anyway, nice haul.