Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Project

Little Project

I picked up a 1830's Percussion shot gun a while back and was restoring it when My friend Keith the Gun builder told me about this new barrel he engineered. This 20 ga. barrel is choked and 4" longer then the original. It has the ability to take a turkey at 65-70 yards. Keith di the medal work, as I was telling him I do wood. LOL I will finish inlaying the barrel anmd get it back to him to apply the rib.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010158.JPG   P1010160.JPG   P1010159.JPG  
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I'm sure it will be a great gun when it's finished but aren't you ruining its value by putting in a modern barrel ??
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Just curious - how does one get the wadding past the choke and into the (slightly larger diameter) main barrel and still get a good gas seal? Seems to me the choke would make loading a bit complicated.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Bob the gun cost me $5 bucks at a yard sale and I will be keeping the original barrel.
    Jim I'm not sure of that function yet. I'll learn that the next trip up to Keiths.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

getting er done, This evening I chiseled out the channel and filed down the tang. The barrel is inlet. The old was 16.8 ga. the new barrel is a 20 ga. Next I head back to Keiths to get the rib put on and then brown the barrel and minor touch up and I'll have a old turkey gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010180.JPG   P1010181.JPG   P1010182.JPG   P1010189.JPG   P1010190.JPG  

P1010191.JPG  

So a question Dave, is a wild turkey tough meet given them old blighters run free and could be how old??? on average.

Whats the meat like? I have only ever had store bought turkey, not all frozen had a few fresh but they not wild ones.

Gun looks huge to me. How you gonna fire that with a tripod or leaning up against a tree

Make sure to show us finished pics I am dying to see how you hide the repairs and mods to the stock.
    cheers

rob, if you haven't had wild turkey, you don't know what you're messing. very juicy lighten dark meat depending on how are you marinate meat.

this'll be in other 3 or 4 weeks before it's finished. I need to go back to seearly Keith and have him put the ram rod rib on. after that I do the browning of the new barrel and then touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    rob, if you haven't had wild turkey, you don't know what you're messing...
    A favorite campfire beverage from my 20's and 30's...

We called it "Uncle Turkey's High-Altitude Elixir".

I've eaten wild turkey, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't prepared right. It was pretty dry and kind of gamey tasting. I'd like to see what it's really supposed to taste like.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn I grill it so it melts in your mouth.

Yep, the breast slowly and I mean, s--l--o--w--l--y grilled, we use olive oil, it is most excellent!! The drumsticks and thighs we grind into a meat spread much like we do with our geese and ducks.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING