Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the plunge one serious phone

Took the plunge one serious phone

A while back I posted about the Motorola Atrix smart phone. Last night I finally took the plunge and got one along with the HD docking station. This is an Android phone with a few tweeks by Motorola.
    For me it means no more laptop.
    With this baby I can hook up directly to the hdmi port on my projector from the hdmi port on the phone. With the aid of the Quickoffice app I can play a power point presentation straight from the phone.
    This is how technology should be.
    I just don't like all the tracking in the apps.
    The HD dock is also amazing it automatically provides access to firefox and file manager but its even got a small remote that allows you to play you photos, videos, music through an hdmi hometheatre center. It even has three usb expansion ports on it where you can attach a usb keboard and plug in an extra usb drive.
    Lots to learn. If you want dump the multiple devices like me then this is THE phone. Well done moto.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

I'm loving my Droid X as well. The versatility and usefulness is pretty cool.

I also picked up a tablet a couple of weeks ago and I find it really complements the use of my phone. I can download and use apps on both my droid and transformer. Heck, I've even started to read books on the transformer tablet.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Congrats, Rob. I'm keeping my eye on the Atrix, too...sweet-sounding specs indeed. It's the current contender for when it comes time to replace my iPhone. The "Lapdock" really appeals to me, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. (You can find a decent laptop for that price.) The HD dock makes a lot more sense, although I would also need an HDMI video display.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Rob glad you finally joined the new World LOL

After a year I still have not figured out everything this thing can do.
    htc evo4
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

We now have iPhone 4 s. Didn't think I would like it or find useful but that has not proven to be the case. Big hit on the budget but we both like and will keep. The e-mail is, so far, biggest feature for me. I also use Kindle as a time filler/killer when waiting somewhere. Pretty amazing. My parents got the first TV in our neighborhood, probably about 1946. Some of the cars in use still had crank starts. Now, I'm seeing this. What will the next 20 years bring?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I opted for the Droid too. Almost went the iphone way, but the issue with Flashplayer, although there are apps to avoid it, kind of turned me off. I had originally wanted it for the video chat, we have wifi at both hospitals so my wife could see my smiling face when work goes out of town. My wife got a Droid first so I followed her. Don't regret it
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Yeah guys but have any of you checked out the permissions section buried on these phones and seen just what tracking info and permissions these apps have in respect of your phone and your information.

Some of them put the CIA to shame. Take a careful indepth look at just what is on the go.

I am gonna hack mine before i go much further. If it voids the warranty too bad but i am still a believer in my rights. I did not have them for most of my life now i aint gonna give them up in the "free world" without a fight.

My phone even has a hidden adsite subroutine that is running all the time and that you cannot terminate.

Here in Canada we pay by Gigabyte of data. Its no wonder they say dont get a 500mb data plan. All the bloat ware that they embedd is continuously spying on you and you paying for it to be sent to them so they can feed you more junk.

This is not on.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...My phone even has a hidden adsite subroutine that is running all the time and that you cannot terminate...
    Wow, I hadn't heard of that sort of thing happening on smartphones. I'd be interested in learning more about it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'd be interested in learning more about it.
    I'd be very curious to get details on this as well.

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Yeah guys but have any of you checked out the permissions section buried on these phones and seen just what tracking info and permissions these apps have in respect of your phone and your information.

Some of them put the CIA to shame. Take a careful indepth look at just what is on the go.

I am gonna hack mine before i go much further. If it voids the warranty too bad but i am still a believer in my rights. I did not have them for most of my life now i aint gonna give them up in the "free world" without a fight.

My phone even has a hidden adsite subroutine that is running all the time and that you cannot terminate.

Here in Canada we pay by Gigabyte of data. Its no wonder they say dont get a 500mb data plan. All the bloat ware that they embedd is continuously spying on you and you paying for it to be sent to them so they can feed you more junk.

This is not on.
    Sounds like a business opportunity to me..."would you like to know more?" ST