Groovy little pocket knife...

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So I got a cool little tool today.

I'm not much of a carver, but I do like to whittle a bit when on camping trips.

I've got a little flexcut carving set, which really works pretty well.

So when this went on sale I couldn't resist and thought I would pick one up.

Now I just need to take a little time off and go sit somewhere quiet with a little piece of pine or basswood and see what kind of shavings I can make with it... :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4198.jpg
    FWW-4198.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Looks like a fun tool. :thumb: I don't want to intimidate you, but I figured I'd show you a couple pics so you have something to aspire to. In time, you might even become a better whittler than me. Here's a carved piece I did a few (OK, a lot of) years ago. My sister for some reason saved it for years, then gave it back to me when I started back into woodworking.

Carved Stick 600.jpg

I know you can hardly believe the quality of my work. Here's a more detailed look at my mastery of a whittling knife:

Carved Stick Detail.jpg

I'm guessing I was probably in about the 4th or 5th grade when I created this masterpiece. It still stands out from most of my other work. :p

I should take some pics of my vacation carving pieces. I think they can best be referred to as 'outsider art' and definitely look like things that were done by small, untalented children! :rofl:

But when I'm in the middle of nowhere, doing nothing, it seems to relax me to sit there and listen to the wind blow and do something stupid...

I'll collect up the pieces and takes some pics later. :rofl:

Some examples of my 'Art' ... :rofl:

A smallish captured Ball.
FWW-4888.jpg

A Fish. Probably the only one I caught that day.
FWW-4886.jpg

A couple of wooden chain links.
FWW-4884.jpg

A ducky. I'm guessing there were a lot of ducks where we camped that day.
FWW-4883.jpg

An Ichthyosaur. We were camped at the Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park.
FWW-4882.jpg

Ahh, and from when we camped in Rachel Nevada. The closest 'town' to Area 51... An Alien bust and the Ship he used to get here...
FWW-4881.jpgFWW-4880.jpg

Hey, the ball and chain look pretty good. The animal forms could use a bit of tweaking, but the spaceship looks exactly like the one I saw on the way home the other night. (I've really gotta stop driving on Nyquil.) :rofl:

I've seen those for sale, look neat. Kinda expensive but if good quality will last a long time. Yep, the waiting and whittlin' bit can be useful when the wifey dissapears and goes shopping.
Vaughn....stick with the lathe. ;)
BTW, wats the difference between whittlin' and carving? Uh-Oh? Wat have I started? :eek:

I can't carve a pumpkin with a pumpkin carver, but that's a cool little device...and some rather sporty carvings by yourself!

"Whittlin' ain't makin'. Whittlin is jest whittlin'." :D:D

Give the man a ceegar. :clap:

A hotly argued issue with serious carvers. But, generally 'whittlin' is considered like what the town locals do when they gather at the courthouse square. They commiserate while 'whittlin' on a piece of wood and makin' nothing more than shavings. Carving is making something that looks like something.

Dunno how I missed this. Very cool gadget there Brent. I can just see you like Jed Clampet carving away on a large log, come back a little later to see a large pile of chips and you finishing up a toothpick to use. ;)

I dunno Darren your pocket may be better off for having missed it. I am with Frank sorry Brent, but i looked up the cost and oh boy had to recover with smelling salts.

Its a huge price for convenience of all the tools in one device.

Good start on your part Brent in those carvings.:)