Thread: Finials and New Trial of EEE/Shellawax

Finials and New Trial of EEE/Shellawax

Awhile back I purchased some EEE and Shellawax but I had not tried it until the other day. Reason was there is a turner Ian Robertson (in England I believe). He has written a protocol for using the two products and you can find it on AAW. Anyway, I took a scrap pc of wood and turned a small finial fairly quick for the vessel in the picture. I sanded to 1000 grit.

I turned the lathe up to 1500rpms and applied the EEE with a pc of old T-shirt and pushed hard and rubbed it in back and forth several times. Then changed to a clean pc of T-shirt and rubbed hard again to clean it.

Then using the Shellawax paste I applied it the same way as above. Let dry for 45min give or take and using a small pc of lambs wool rubbed it one final time.

Note: The Vessel was finished with Waterlox 3 coats and knocked down and buffed awhile ago.

I read you can use some liquid shellawax and thin down the paste for large projects. I have not tried that yet but this is the 3rd Finial I have used Shellawax on and if you apply it right I think it works great.......

I was not able to upload the tutorial for everyone - says file size is to large............ill try to figure out a way but until then for anyone interested
    http://www.ubeaut.com.au/swinfo.htm <----------Shellawax website with more information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010001.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 06-16-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

That's good info on the Shellawax website. They not only tell how to use it, but why.

If you want, e-mail the PDF file to webmaster - at - familywoodworking.org and one of us Admins can upload it manually.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn.............I sent it and asked if someone could put it on this post.......I think this would be a very interesting thing for anyone that may want to try it or that has had problems using it...............thanks Dan
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Good looking piece Dan. I use the EEE and Shellwax. Shellwax doesn't hold up as nicely as I would like but the EEE works really nicely.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dan, I've converted the .doc file you sent into a .pdf file. It's available here:

Ian Robertson Shellawax Tutorial
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice piece and +1 for EEE - no wax beyond that here. Thanks for upping the intel, I'll review it.
    mj

The tutorial is up thanks to Vaughn........I will say that if you follow Ian's protocol for using EEE and shellawax you will not be disappointed.
    From the letter he sent me the mistake turners usually make is that they use to much when you only need a small dab, or they apply it wrong and get so so results.............I followed the tutorial and have been happy with the results.............