Finials and New Trial of EEE/Shellawax

Dan Mosley

Awhile back I purchased some EEE and Shellawax but I had not tried it until the other day. Reason was there is a turner Ian Robertson (in England I believe). He has written a protocol for using the two products and you can find it on AAW. Anyway, I took a scrap pc of wood and turned a small finial fairly quick for the vessel in the picture. I sanded to 1000 grit.

I turned the lathe up to 1500rpms and applied the EEE with a pc of old T-shirt and pushed hard and rubbed it in back and forth several times. Then changed to a clean pc of T-shirt and rubbed hard again to clean it.

Then using the Shellawax paste I applied it the same way as above. Let dry for 45min give or take and using a small pc of lambs wool rubbed it one final time.

Note: The Vessel was finished with Waterlox 3 coats and knocked down and buffed awhile ago.

I read you can use some liquid shellawax and thin down the paste for large projects. I have not tried that yet but this is the 3rd Finial I have used Shellawax on and if you apply it right I think it works great.......

I was not able to upload the tutorial for everyone - says file size is to large............ill try to figure out a way but until then for anyone interested
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/swinfo.htm <----------Shellawax website with more information.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That's good info on the Shellawax website. They not only tell how to use it, but why.

If you want, e-mail the PDF file to webmaster - at - familywoodworking.org and one of us Admins can upload it manually. :thumb:

Vaughn.............I sent it and asked if someone could put it on this post.......I think this would be a very interesting thing for anyone that may want to try it or that has had problems using it...............thanks Dan

The tutorial is up thanks to Vaughn........I will say that if you follow Ian's protocol for using EEE and shellawax you will not be disappointed.
From the letter he sent me the mistake turners usually make is that they use to much when you only need a small dab, or they apply it wrong and get so so results.............I followed the tutorial and have been happy with the results.............