Issue with bowl finish

I was at a show yesterday selling some of my work. It started to rain pretty hard. Before we could get the sides down on the gazebo, some of my bowls got wet. When the rain stopped, we got some towels and wiped them off. However, there where whitish spots on the bowls.

I finished the bowls with danish oil. Once dry, I buffed them with tripole then carnuba wax.

My question is what are they, and how to get rid of them?

That's a bummer. :( Carnauba wax is famous for showing white water spots, although I'm not sure why it happens. I believe the only way to get rid of them is to remove the wax with mineral spirits and re-do the buffing.

The water spotting (and general lack of durability) are why I don't use carnauba anymore. I use Renaissance Wax instead.

The water spotting (and general lack of durability) are why I don't use carnauba anymore. I use Renaissance Wax instead.

I totally agree with Vaughn. Carnauba is terrible. Renaissance is the way to go. If you run out or can't find it, Johnson's Floor wax is the next best thing out there. In fact, it is what I'm using right now. Can't find my Ren Wax since the move.

Hi,

Watch out with Johnson's Floor Wax. There are two (2) varieties: non-skid and regular. I have not used the non-skid.

The regular is slippery as Teflon and buffs to a very nice shine. It really works wonderfully well on table saw, band saw, etc. tables. It prevents rust and is almost frictionless for sliding large pieces of wood across.

Maybe non-skid buffs up well also. I just don't know. I was just giving a "heads-up."

Enjoy,

Jim

If anyone uses the non-skid let us know how it works.

I've heard of others who've used Kiwi neutral shoe polish (the paste, not the liquid) as another substitute for Renaissance Wax.