Pop, Soda, or Coke. Which Is It?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting map...

1465_1255579968190.gif

I call it a Coke, because that's what it says on the can. Real Coke. None of that diet stuff.

I call it soda. But some folks around here call it "tonic" I don't see that one listed.

I always ask for a Pepsi. Bottled or canned coke is no where near as good as a soda fountain coke imho. But my favorite is RC cola.:thumb:

Milk shake=blended milk and flavoring
Frappe = blended milk, flavoring and ice cream
Ice cream soda= milk, flavoring, soda water mixed and topped with ice cream. yum!!

In Rhode Island a frappe is called a "cabinet" :huh:

I grew up in soda, lived in several pops, and vacationed in tonic. Fortunately, coke is near universal, just in case you don't know where you are.

I call it soda. But some folks around here call it "tonic" I don't see that one listed.

I always ask for a Pepsi. Bottled or canned coke is no where near as good as a soda fountain coke imho. But my favorite is RC cola.:thumb:

Milk shake=blended milk and flavoring
Frappe = blended milk, flavoring and ice cream
Ice cream soda= milk, flavoring, soda water mixed and topped with ice cream. yum!!

In Rhode Island a frappe is called a "cabinet" :huh:

Where I grew up if it had ice cream in it... it's called a "float"...
and we didn't add milk... just ice cream and soda.. Coke or Root Beer.

Frank

Having lived in several colors on the map and worked in even more
I thought it was quite interesting....

And I come from pop country. A 16 oz RC already cold for a nickel.

Bottle deposit was .02 and a short walk or horse back ride would usually quickly net me three bottles, that I could trade in for a pop and decent sized tootsie roll.

I've called it all three. I now just say Dr Pepper. With or with out ice cream. The map shows the county I grew up in calling it pop. I also remember we called it a coke.
If you blend the ice cream and soda of your choice, you have a freeze. Best DP freeze I've had was one from the Dr Pepper store in Doublin Texas where they still make Dr Pepper with pure cane sugar. I get pretty close at home with some DP I brought home from there and Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. Man, now I wish we weren't out of Blue Bell!!! Jim.

But my favorite is RC cola.:thumb:

+1 on RC Cola! RC kicked butt in all my taste tests.
Junior High lunch of champion non athletes: bag of chips, moon pie and an RC. All for the same price as the cafeteria junk!
mj

ps -that would be ZIP red chile chips for Vaughn

Last edited:
Hi,

As a person who fitted contact lenses...I called it, "Stop drinking it and your contact lenses will stop drying-up."

There are quite a few things that cause poor tear volume and poor tear quality. Soft contact lenses really like them both to be good, not poor. The tears supply oxygen and nutrition to the cornea (the clear window that is the front of the eye). Anything that reduces the tear circulation beyond a certain point is going to result in red eyes, dry feeling eyes, contact lens discomfort, etc.

If you have borderline acceptable tears, doing anything that makes the situation worse is going to cause a problem. One of the things that makes the situation worse is adding contact lenses. A bit of explanation is needed here. If you could hold a soft lens under a water faucet, the water would go right through it. Some types of lens "plastic" (technically they are not made of plastic) will pass the water more freely than others.

Your contacts, if they are clean, will pass most of the water (in this case, tears). However, they don't pass it all. If you have borderline tear volume or tears with a "thick" viscosity, the nutrition becomes reduced enough that your corneas start to suffer malnutrition and probably oxygen deprivation. The corneas broadcast a message to you and you want to remove your contacts.

The message may be something like, "Don't wear your contacts over ten hours or If you are going out tonight, you better not wear your contacts to work today." If the situation is worse, you get the message fairly quickly and it is more apt to be something like, "Get these darned things off NOW!"

People with normal or better volume and excellent quality wear their lenses from first thing in the morning until going to bed. They totally forget that they are wearing the lenses.

Wow did I ever wander off course. Sodas, Pop, whatever you want to call it typically have a high sugar content. Not only that the sugar is usually in combination with caffeine---which potentiates the problem. Sugar tends to thicken the body solutions (think saliva, tears). Caffeine is a diuretic; too much of it and the tear volume and quality will reduce.

There are many other poor tear factors: Autoimmune disorders, not drinking enough water, too much alcohol, lots of medicines. The last I heard, the most common age to get the first pair of contacts is 13---the soda drinking age, so saying, "Knock off the sodas." is a fairly common statement in an eye doctor's office.

My very unscientific observation about why age 13 is the most popular age is: The girls get them because of boys. Boys get them because of sports.

With that, I shall shut-up.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Now that map finally makes sense of what i have experienced all these years with you guys in the USA.

Where i came from we called it cold drink. Then you had to ask what type?

The reply could have been many different brands.:D

But Bob you brought back a childhood memory i think. That is if the RC stands for Royal Crown Cola?

Boy i have never forgotten this stuff. It beat Pepsi and Coke hands down and the bottle was even a little bigger and better looking when i was around 8 years old. :)

Is Royal Crown still available? I gotta get me some if it is that would be a walk down memory lane. Sloppy joe (or in SA slap chips) with a vienna sausage thats been destroyed in the chip frier and a Royal Crown Cola oh boy that was the weekly pocket money gone.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whaaat Jim you take tea. I thought that was only for the English like me?

Or you thinking ice tea or mint tea?