Dust Deputy

Dust deputy shop vac cyclone separator do you....

• Have one already

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Have an equivalent home made one

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Would like to get one or make one

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Not interested in using one for my shop vac.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another Performance Post - Dust Deputy

I thought I'd just piggy back on this thread :rolleyes:. I had a home brew separator and then a "Rockler" style separator lid on a 5 gal. bucket. Both did a decent job but, as Vaughn stated; the difference is night and day. I was a scoffer at the $100-plus small cyclone offerings. I don't know why I question some actual engineering talent when I get proven wrong so often :D:D:D

I'm sure I posted back when I got the plastic Dust Deputy for a Christmas gift some years ago but, even now, it still surprises me.

I had been through a few projects and so before starting another set, I went to empty one of my shop vacs.

DD-Perf-1.jpg

After getting all this out of the bucket that sets under the DD:

DD-Perf-2.jpg

I was once again surprised at how little material was on the vac's filter:

DD-Perf-3.jpg

Or in the vac's bin:

DD-Perf-4.jpg

Just more food for thought for those considering one. A separator is good but these things (in whatever flavor) are startling.

Last edited:
I bought a Clear Vue before they took them off the market. Works great. I attached to an old shop vac (removed the motor and used the same hole)(also heavier and more stable than a five gal. bucket - less dumping also) and I ran a long hose from it to the new shop vac which sits in the corner like a fixed cyclone. It has been over many years and every time I check the shop vac it is crystal clear and has next to nothing to dump out. I'm sure the dust deputy or home made units work as well. Highly recommend these mini cyclones.:thumb:

Don't have one, didn't know what they were until I saw Paul's picture... no room in the shop for one. Just barely enough room for the shop vac. Thinking I need something like that for the DC unit... it keeps getting clogged at the impeller screen when I do green wood.