Profile question for all you spinny folks

Rich Soby

I haven't turned in a few years so I made sure to buy extra for this project.....

Anyhoo, I have to turn a couple of legs for the island in the kitchen I am building. I will be using a duplicator and a pattern. That much I'm fine with.

My question is that the top of the leg is going to be square and the turning will begin off of the flat bottom of the block. The block has to remain square so my first thought is to make a saw cut completly around the bottom of the block allowing for the diameter of the turning.
Is this the correct way to approach this or am I missing a more accurate method?

Thanks in advance!

I don't do much spindle turning but I would start this with a flat sided parting tool. :dunno: If anyone has a better idea please correct me.

No taper from square to round? A saw cut would be one way. That in my mind is a pretty drastic change. The few table legs I have turned I used a roughing gouge to turn it from square to round and tapered up to the square area that was needed for bolting it to the table skirt.

I must be spending too much time in the paint booth lately.... Now that I go back and look at most of the designs that are available I see the bottom section of the block has a smile and isn't square, but just not a prominent feature...
So much for straining my last two brain cells trying to work that one out in my head......:doh:

Ha!!!! Nice to know that more than one of us is short grey matter! Most leg tops have a slight round to them then a saw cut for the depth of the ring or donut. Only done a few with my BIL so anyone will have a better take on this that I would.

Here is a link with info by Alan Lacer on turning a pommel.
http://www.woodturninglearn.net/articles/turningtablelegs.htm
Here is another that look to be pretty good.
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/08/17/perfect-pommels.aspx

A search on google for "turning a pommel" should turn up a lot of results.

ps. With a saw cut you will be left with a jagged end grain which will be almost impossible to sand. The skew or gouge should leave a good surface.

That's awesome! Thank you. both articles are very informative!
I never seem to get many opportunities to incorporate turnings into my projects so when I do I jump at the chance

Mike beat me to it, but he's right...look up pommel cuts and you should be able to get some ideas. Pommel cuts aren't real easy, so I'd suggest practicing on some scrap before you dive into your good stock. Sharp tools and speed can be your friend on this type of thing. :thumb:

Success!

Drifmeyerkitchen071111007.jpg

Drifmeyerkitchen071111008.jpg

Thank you again for the advise! Worked like a charm!!!!