Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oryoki Set from Yutaro

Oryoki Set from Yutaro

Yutaro is a former business associate of mine in Tokyo, and over the years we have exchanged a number of gifts. He was recently in Los Angeles, and we had a chance to meet and catch up on things. As is the Japanese tradition, we used the occasion as reason to exchange gifts. He has always admired my woodworking, so I made sure he had a nice hollow form to take back to Tokyo. In return, he presented me with a beautiful example of Japanese woodturning, a nested set of oryoki bowls. Oryoki bowls are used by Buddhist monks, and are considered one of their essential possessions (along with their robe).

The bowls range in size from about 6" to 3" in diameter, and they are finished with a satin lacquer. I don't know what type of wood they are made of, and I don't know if they were cored from a single blank (I kind of doubt it, seeing how close they are in size). What I do know is that it's a beautiful set that makes a great addition to my personal collection of turned wood.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oryoki from Yutaro 07 - 800MR.jpg   Oryoki from Yutaro 08 - 800MR.jpg   Oryoki from Yutaro 09 - 800MR.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Those are really neat Vaughn. What's the finish on them?

Those are beautiful
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That is a beautiful set. Like you I don't think they were cored from the same piece of wood however I think they make a wonderful set and I love the way they stack.

I will make a prediction and say that someone with the intials V.M. will be duplicating that stacking set sometime in the future.....
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

now thats some pretty close duplicating vaughn,, they didnt give themselves much room for error
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

lovely set. Looks pretty thin too.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

They look really cool and are very well finished.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Very nice set of bowls, not cheap, well done!

The wood is almost for sure going to be Keyaki, the evil wood that I love to hate, but is so very nice.

Once you know that, then the finish on those bowls will "Wow" you all over again.

Like this example.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6957-category.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	57508
    ....the Keyaki has a VERY toothy grain, so to cover up that toothy grain takes many layers upon layers of the Urushi Lacquer, and then many rounds of polishing.

What a wonderful gift your friend got you
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very special gift. Those are beautiful.
    From Stu's description, I suspect many-many hours went into the finishing.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Those are beautiful. The Japanese do such awesome finishes. Wish I had their patience (and knowledge).
    "We the People ......"