T12 florescents are being phased out

You may already know this, but I just found out recently (I'm always the last to get the word).

T12 florescents are being phased out. Bulb production is supposed to cease in July 2012. So if you're adding florescents to your shop, use T8s (or, at least not T12s).

Mike

It's news to me, too. I've got four cheap 2-tube T12 fixtures hanging in my shop. As they die, I guess I'll replace the ballasts and tubes with T8s.

I've got a mixture of t-12's and t-8's. The t-12's seem to last substantially longer than the t-8's. I wish folks would leave me and my light bulbs alone.:bang:

I was thinking the other day. I have 2 garage door openers that use 60 watt light bulbs. They stay on for 1 minute after the door is opened or closed. I've never changed one:eek: I've been in the house for 19 years and they were put in 7 years before I bought the house. Figuring that the doors are opened and closed an average of 6 times a day that means the bulbs are lit for 2190 hours per year. 26 years =56940 hours of illumination :eek::eek::eek: That's gotta be some kind of record.:thumb:

I've got a mixture of t-12's and t-8's. The t-12's seem to last substantially longer than the t-8's. I wish folks would leave me and my light bulbs alone.:bang:

I was thinking the other day. I have 2 garage door openers that use 60 watt light bulbs. They stay on for 1 minute after the door is opened or closed. I've never changed one:eek: I've been in the house for 19 years and they were put in 7 years before I bought the house. Figuring that the doors are opened and closed an average of 6 times a day that means the bulbs are lit for 2190 hours per year. 26 years =56940 hours of illumination :eek::eek::eek: That's gotta be some kind of record.:thumb:

Uh, Bob...:dunno:...that works out to 6 hours per day, not 6 minutes. But my guess is that the light is on for 4-5 minutes per open and close, allowing time to get into and out of the car, unload car, then close door. So pick the 5 minutes per episode. 5 time 6 episodes per day = 30 min. per day. times 365 days = 1050 minutes per year. divide by 60 = 182.5 hours per year. times 26 years = 4745 hours. I'll let you figure up how much it cost you to run that bulb for that many hours. :D Sorry. That said, I've got a single 100 watt CFL in my garage door opener. Jim.

Uh, Bob...:dunno:...that works out to 6 hours per day, not 6 minutes. But my guess is that the light is on for 4-5 minutes per open and close, allowing time to get into and out of the car, unload car, then close door. So pick the 5 minutes per episode. 5 time 6 episodes per day = 30 min. per day. times 365 days = 1050 minutes per year. divide by 60 = 182.5 hours per year. times 26 years = 4745 hours. I'll let you figure up how much it cost you to run that bulb for that many hours. :D Sorry. That said, I've got a single 100 watt CFL in my garage door opener. Jim.

Lets see....I'm not great with math. I went to school to be a mechanical engineer and lasted 3 months before i figured out that good math skills were necessary then went into sales. :rofl::rofl:

The lights stay on 1 minute. each door is opened and closed 6 times per day, so that's 6 minutes per door or 12 minutes a day that the light is on. 12 x 365 = 4380 minutes per year x 26 years = more minutes that I can do in my head. :eek: Did I screw up my math again :dunno:

I have had several T8 electronic ballasts fail in the first year.
And on these they weren't replaceable.. I do really like the little 2 bulb T8 fixtures I bough in general but haven't found them again to replace with like looking units..

I did find some cold weather rated T8 fixtures last year. I put some 'daylight' bulbs in them and couldn't be happier. Takes a little time for them to come up to full power, but when they are running they work great. The old t12 I had would buzz and flicker like crazy, but these are quiet and just seem to work.

If they use less 'lectrics' that's great, but the fact that they work better is what I really like.

I had a dead spot with light in the far corner of my garage/shop.
I never put a light up there because I used it just to store wood and park machines when not in use.
When I replace a kitchen fixture, I took just the fixture, no cover, and hung it in that corner. 4 t12 bulbs.

This is how I judge whether or not Im staying in the garage in the cold weather.
When I turn the fixture on in the cold, it doesnt fully light, or blinks.
By the time the bulbs come on solid, if Im not warmed up enough to keep working, I leave for that day.
We all have our little quirks. Ofcourse, now that its Air conditioned, Im thinking of putting a propane gas unit in there for heat, sorta take the fun out of the blinking light fixture.

I have been running the dual 4 foot T-8 fixtures from Lowe's (can't find them online but my store still sells them, about $18 each) with Phillips 6500k lamps in them for over 5 years (cheapest by the 10-pack from Home Depot) . I had just commented somewhere that I have yet to replace a lamp so, of course, my first lamp went out a couple days ago. Even still, several years of daily use . . . not bad and not expensive. I hang them from light chain so they can be moved or adjusted for height easily as my layout evolves. Here's a pic with a few of them on:

Attachments

• Shop-Lights-Oview-1.jpg
    Shop-Lights-Oview-1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Two Items:

1)---- I have an old carbon filament, probably hand blown, with a tip where it was sealed. I know this lamp was in use in 1929. It was in a walk-in closet. It hung on the electric cord and had a Pull-chain switch. I would go in the closet, turn it on, and give it a good swat so that it would swing around or back and forth. It made great dancing shadows.

If my mom was in the closet, I would go in, close the door and do the same thing. After a bit she would leave and let me play. Many years later, I'm not sure how long but it was after I had my doctor degree, I found out she was claustrophobic and would break out in a sweat when I did that. She never told me because she did not want it to affect me. And she would not leave immediately for fear that I would associate leaving with door closing. I was blessed with wonderful parents. Everyone should have wonderful parents---what a happy world this would be.

Myrna just called me to lunch. I will send this and then continue after lunch.

Enjoy,

Jim

OK tummy full, teeth not brushed, however, as usual, I am full of the stuff.

2)----My shop is 24 x 29.5 feet---minus Myrna's laundry, 7 x7 bathroom, water heater and FAU. It contains five, eight foot, twin T-12 luminaires and four, four foot long, twin T-8's. In the house one room contains two 8 foot T-12's and two 4 foot, 4 lamp T-12's. I have one 8 ft unit that is not installed yet.

I prefer the illumination of my 8 footers. They are 3500 degree K lamps. The 4 footers in the shop are 6500 degree K and give hospital surgery cold, almost harsh, illumination.

It sounds like I need to purchase three or four cases of 8 foot lamps. (Why do illuminating engineers call them 8 footers instead of 8 feeters? If you have more than one "foot" you have feet.) Replacing eight twin lamp 8-ft. fluorescents is going to run the price of a nice piece of ww machinery. What a waste of money.

Four foot, twin lamp T-8 fluorescent luminaires sell for less than ten-bucks at Lowe's. Of course they have magnetic ballasts, as all of the older fluorescents did. That won't hurt too much financially. (The electron ballast units run about $37 each in four foot luminaires. Only the US Treasury knows the price of 8 footers.)

Of course I should not complain. I got the 8 foot luminaires from my oldest son, Greg when he remodeled his automobile repair shop. He also gave me a wad of lamps. That was about 40 years ago. I had to start replacing lamps only a 2 or 3 years ago. It would not surprise me if one or two of the lamps are original. So for all of these years illumination has only cost me the electricity. However, I still don't want to buy new eight-foot light fixtures.

Enjoy (It does not sound like I am going to.),

Jim

Last edited: