Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transmission fluid?

transmission fluid?

On a muzzle loading discussion forum I belong to it was posted that a reputable gun builder reccomended putting type F transmission fluid on the wood stock of guns as a protectant.
    Seems very strange to me. But the builder has an excellent reputation and, I'm sure, doesn't want damage either his guns or reputation.
    I'm still very skeeptikal.
    Any imput?
    David, what say ye?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

frank i dont have daves experience at all but i do know that my brother and me as well have used trans fluid on the wooden beds of trucks and trailers to preserve them and it doesnt make the rot at all it will repel alot of moisture for sure.. and it does change the color of the wood some.. so i dont think it would hurt to use it one the gun stock especially if its a user and not a show piece
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Used motor oil has been the paint of choice for fences round these parts for years. Best when mixed with kersote but the tree huggers took that off the market years ago. (When it works get grid of it )
    After all it's an oil based paint
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Yep, a hot summer day, used oil on a wooden trailer floor, soaks it up like a sponge! Repels urine also.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Yep, a hot summer day, used oil on a wooden trailer floor, soaks it up like a sponge! Repels urine also.
    What are ya doing peeing on the trailer Jonathan?????
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    What are ya doing peeing on the trailer Jonathan?????
    I knew somebody was going to say that!
    Not me! The calves, pigs, horses and other critters I haul in the trailer.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I knew somebody was going to say that!
    Not me! The calves, pigs, horses and other critters I haul in the trailer.
    Well since they are do you might as well too!!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Used motor oil has been the paint of choice for fences round these parts for years. Best when mixed with kersote but the tree huggers took that off the market years ago. (When it works get grid of it )
    After all it's an oil based paint

My Dad used to do that too

He also used to go to the only gas station up in Bartlett take all their drain oil and pour it in the swamp in back of out house. the film killed all the mosquitoes.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    ...He also used to go to the only gas station up in Bartlett take all their drain oil and pour it in the swamp in back of out house. the film killed all the mosquitoes.
    Back when I was growing up in the '70s, there were a couple of years where Albuquerque had massive moth invasions. At night, the swarms of moths around streetlamp looked like thick, heavy clouds. We had to clean the moths out of the air filters on our cars every couple of days. Going out to the garage at night was at turning on the light would cause a swarm of thousands of moths to suddenly appear from every nook and cranny of the room. It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

I took a large plastic washtub and poured a few inches of used crankcase oil into it, then clamped a light to the edge of the tub. It made a great moth trap. Every day I'd skim off a few inches of oiled moths and add a few more inces of oil to start the process over again.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

When I had my farm if anyone had poured oil into my ponds I woulda shot them. And the sheriff would have congratulated me. That will kill cattle, wildlife and a livelihood.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire