New Roubo Style Bench

Hey Ned!

I should have Searched for it! Sure glad I opened the door to get it!

I noticed that you're apparently using Galvanized pipe... where John White appears to be using Black pipe...

Which one is the best to use?

It seems to me that I remember one Stains when in contact with glue & one doesn't... forgot which one...

I am going to make my bench closer to 60" long and to 24" wide (at least that's what I'm leaning to now.)

Thank you.
Joe,
honestly I just went with 'locally available' and left it at that.

So Ned is that really you in the avatar? Or did the Borg assimilate you & then take your pic for the Avatar?:eek::):D:thumb::rofl:

That's me... I just had to flip the image from the mirror (gimp did a nice job)

I was looking at this thread the past week or so.
As usual, Stu, your woodworking skills shine through, but equally impressive is the smaller size of your belly. Wish I had your will power.

Just going through this thread now. Great looking bench Stu. I think this setup will work better for you. Gonna have to get up to your place and check it sometime soon.

Stu, I know it's been gone over before, but this new bench you are building, it's height you figured so with you standing up straight, with an arm down at your side, you can place your palm on the bench surface?

Is this an accepted method for calculating, that would be accurate for all different heights of persons?

Just asking and still following. Good job there.

Aloha, Tony

Stu, I know it's been gone over before, but this new bench you are building, it's height you figured so with you standing up straight, with an arm down at your side, you can place your palm on the bench surface?

Is this an accepted method for calculating, that would be accurate for all different heights of persons?

Just asking and still following. Good job there.

Aloha, Tony

Pretty much Tony, but it depends on what you are doing for work as well.

I'm lucky in that my SawStop height is just about where I want a bench for hand work, so my new bench is just a tick below the height of the tablesaw.

A little more work done on the bench....

1st_dog_hole.jpg

I drilled the first dog hole, worked OK, but then I remembered that I should sand the shaft of the hold fast with coarse paper round and round, not back and forth, but round and round like this.....

holefast_sanded.jpg

Now they hold VERY well indeed! :thumb:

Next up I put the end vice in place and put a much larger jaw on the thing.....

endvice.jpg

Let me tell you, those three dog holes in the jaw, done by hand were hard work!

Dog holes in a row!

endvice_dog_holes.jpg

I did all of those by hand too, but much easier than the Maple was!

top_watcoed.jpg

Tonight I cleared the decks and put a good thick coat of Natural Watco oil on it.

Cheers!

I did all of those by hand too, but much easier than the Maple was!

uh-oh, Stu's going all neanderthal on us. next we'll read about him resawing a board by hand, and then he'll buy all of Rob Cosman's dvds and look into getting a treadle lathe... :stick::laugh2:

...art

"Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies!"

Ahh. That's-a nice. Thanks for taking us all along for the ride Stu. What a great looking workbench. Lookout chairs, here he comes!

uh-oh, Stu's going all neanderthal on us. next we'll read about him resawing a board by hand, and then he'll buy all of Rob Cosman's dvds and look into getting a treadle lathe... :stick::laugh2:

...art

"Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies!"

I'll never give up Big Blue, that saw just works so well!

I guess I'm a hybrid, I like to use both.

BTW I just ordered Rob Cosman's DVD on planes and sharpening :D

This really is the last real work to do on the bench, I might add a morticed planing stop at some point, or a few more dog holes, but really this is 99% done!

leg_vice_backer_1.jpg

leg_vice_backer_2.jpg

leg_vice_backer_3.jpg

The bench legs are only 10cm which is just under 4", the plans call for 5" thick legs, would have been a lot more work, maybe on the next one :rolleyes:
Anyway I had some cutoffs from the bench so I beefed the leg for the leg vice up a bit. I think it will work even better now!

I also put a shelf in the bottom of the bench, it really does give it a finished look.

bottom_shelf_1.jpg

bottom_shelf_2.jpg

The bench, heavy as it is, still moves around when I'm planing wood etc, so I thought I'd add the shelf, and store my midi lathe there, killing two birds with one stone....

bottom_shelf_3.jpg

I don't think it will move around much now, but if it does I was thinking of some kind of sandpaper on the bottoms of each leg, they slide fairly easy on the concrete :doh:

Cheers!

I do like it. Nice job.

May I suggest a different material for the leg bottoms? I think the sandpaper would slide on the concrete quite a bit too, so try attaching some squares of rubber sheet, not as thick or of the same type as your floor mats, but maybe about 1/8" thick that you can glue (and maybe apply a couple staples too) to the bottom of the leg. This would conform to and adhere to the concrete surface better. JMHO.

Keep up the great work.

Aloha, Tony