• am never without it.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • usually have it.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • never carry a pocket knife.

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters

Ron Jones

I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but I felt an updated survey couldn't hurt. Be sure to participate in the poll. Do you carry a pocket knife? When? Where? Maybe most important question of all, what kind?

I've had my share of them, from the cheap one's I had in my tackle box as a kid to pretty decent knives as an adult. I've had Case and Old Timers, but now I prefer my made in the USA Buck. It's the Buck Knives 303A--a medium sized traditional folding pocket knife. It features 3 stainless steel blades, a 2-5/8" clip point, a 1-3/4" spey, and a 1-3/4" sheepsfoot. It is 3-1/4" long closed and weighs about 2 ounces. Mine has black plastic handles with the Buck logo, and has Buck's Lifetime Warranty. It seems to maintain a keen edge for all my needs. I bought it from Amazon about 3 years ago, right after I lost my Old Timer. Naturally, I found my lost knife the day after the Buck arrived. I usually have it in my pocket, but there are exceptions--usually when required by law.

Leatherman Wave on my belt in a belt sheath.

Only time I don't have it is when I have to travel on business.

I've been carrying it for many years, in fact, it's my second one, as I was doing something stupid with the original one and broke the jaws on the pliers. I like it because you can open the blades on it one handed. If you get real good, you can even open the pliers just by flicking it just right.

Just don't feel right without it.

Came in handy one time at an ATM machine in Downtown San Francisco. Put my card in the machine, got my cash, and then my card didn't come out quite far enough to be able to get it with my fingers. Whipped out the leatherman, flicked my wrist to turn it into a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the card right out. Should have seen the looks the other customers gave me. Like the couldn't believe someone would carry something like that around with them! :D

a buck 701U 3 blade.. one blade does anything and the other two do what is required of them..from cleaning critters to cutting a piece of meat to eat..just a pant leg wipe and she is ready for the next round:rofl:

I've always carried a pocket knife, just got to be a habit. Here's a few of ones handy.
2mr76t1.jpg

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

I've carried a pocketknife everywhere allowed by law since I was in grade school. Carried a 4" Buck Folding Hunter on my belt for several years of high school. (Don't see that happening anymore.) Right now, I'm carrying a Leatherman Micra, although I've been through the gamut.

Brent, I used to carry an original Leatherman full-time when I was working as a construction inspector. The toolbox on my belt was handy as heck and saved my bacon a number of times. I broke the jaws on it once, and sent it in for free repair. (That was back when they had a lifetime warranty.) I was later given the Victorinox equivalent, and that was always in my bag o' tricks when I was doing a lot of trade shows. (Before it was illegal to have that kind of thing in your carry-on luggage.)

I probably have a dozen of them here and there around the house and shop. I've been carrying a Case Sod-Buster for the past year or so. Never without a knife.
I have a small swiss army knife for when I travel.

I used to always carry a buck or shrade in the sheath upside down on my belt. I could hit the snap and have it out and open in one movement. Back when I worked in a warehouse I was always cutting rope to tie down loads to peoples cars and trucks or opening bundles of trim and I usually only had one hand free when I needed to cut something. I still have them and the schrade is still my favorite as the spring was "just right" to open with a flick of my thumb. I have a Buck titanium that I bought because it weighs almost nothing. I love the knife but it does not lend itself to one hand opening. (I found this out when I flicked it open with my thumb and it opened just far enough for me to get my fingers around the handle then slipped off my thumb and cut through the tips of 2 fingers and into the nail of another, OUCH!)
So... that one went into the junk drawer and the schrade went back on my belt.
Havent carried either in years. I always have a Stanley utility knife in the side pocket of my carpenter pants/shorts so "technically" that's my pocket knife.
I just dislike having much in my pockets or on my belt when Im working...

I carried a 3 blade craftsman for years, another made by buck, both of which ended up in the TSA bin after forgetting to check them with my baggage and running late for the plane. Been carrying a Kershaw 1830 OSO for this past year. I like the fact I can flick it open, making it very handy when needed in a pinch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 89
I carry a set almost exactly like this (not quite to scale):

41bC28qYR5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The only difference is that my larger knife has a corkscrew instead of a Phillips screwdriver. I've only used that corkscrew once (to fish shock cord out of my tent poles for shortening) and it's hard on the hands otherwise.

Funny thing is, I bought 20 of these sets to award to my Scouts when they earn their First Class rank. (About $10 each on sale at Amazon! :thumb:) I still have several left ... and the screwdriver would be much more useful to me than the corkscrew ... and I even raided one of the sets to replace my smaller knife ... but I haven't been able to bring myself to retire the corkscrew model that I've been hauling around for ~17 years. :dunno:

I said, "None."
However, I do have my military knife. I have a Buck knife given to me because someone thought I was a nice guy. I have several, including a Case, in drawers in the garage. And I have two, fairly large, fairly heavy knives that I used for throwing in the service (not part of GI gear).

I might carry a knife once a year if I know I am going to need one.

Enjoy,

Jim

The same Swiss army Climber for 10-12 years. I have a model that I can't fit in my pocket that has everything they ever made included. I received a 3rd from a friend in the construction business that has Senco embossed in the side. It's fun because of the pliers, but I use the toothpick more than anything else.

I stopped carrying anything of this kind after 9/11. Dept of homeland security conviscated a simple nail clipper from inside my large checked luggage at JFK. There was no debate and i decided then no more gifts to their pockets.:)

Always. Except, as Rob pointed out, when flying, which is rare for me.
I have many knives, but the two I use, and wear, the most are a Coleman-Western, lock back, two blade with some kinda durable plastic slabs. One blade is serrated the other is a clip point, not serrated. I used on the farm for many years, very durable. The other is an Old Timer, single blade stockman style with a brass liner lock. I prefer locking blades on folders for safety. I have many-many knives, kinda of an accumulators obsession, not really a collection.

Always! I generally carry two - sometimes three - knives on my person. I have a small (gentleman's?) Victorinox in my pocket, and either a Gerber or Kershaw (both spring assisted) clipped to the right pocket edge, along with an original Leatherman in the left pocket.

I've also been known to carry a Fairbairn-Sykes in a boot sheath, and on rare occasion, a sgian-dubh. I seldom go anywhere unequipped/unarmed.