pays to sort through old stuff

allen levine

My wife and I have been doing some 20 year cleaning.
the kind that you dig deep into things you just put aside year after year.
She bunched together alot of jewerly, like earings unpaired, broken, and other broken pieces, things laying around for 30-40 years.Kinda stuff you aint never gonna wear, but didnt give it away.
I was going through the boxes of paperwork and supplies I brought home from my store,(figured its time, its 8 months) everything was packed tight and before I shoved them all into storage, Idecided to go through each plastic pin to make sure nothing is in there I might need within the next year or so.
I found an old small cardboard box, it was when I first started working in my store, I used to pull all the silver coins out of the register each night and I dumped them into this box. Ofcourse, no more silve came in during the 80s, so I shoved the box into a drawer and forgot about it.
Today, I went to a reputable dealer near me, and I was shocked we got nearly 1000 bucks for that old junkie jewerly.
And I got a bit shy under 1400 bucks for all the silver coins
Really pays to go through the stuff just laying around.

I have a bunch of silver dollars dating back to the 1800s, but he told me I should go to a coin dealer as those may have value up and above the price of silver alone.

If I didnt just get the new router, Id be tempted to go out and buy a tool today.

Last edited:
It's not often that you find almost $2400 "just lying around" ... especially not in today's economy!

We were helping my old boss move her father into her home a while back. He was american indian. While moving his desk, 3 oil checks fell out for over $5000 each that he'd not done anything with. She said she found several others shortly after.

I have been going through some of my mother's effects that I overlooked when I closed out her estate seven years ago. Found a couple bank passbooks for savings accounts and a, still sealed, envelope she had mailed, registered, to herself in 1956. Thought I had struck the bonanza. :woot: Savings accounts had been closed out. The envelope was a 'poor man's patent' for her invention of a subsitute butter. Oh, well...... :bang:

Years ago, I had neighbor that moved out to a trailer, as he had let his daughter have the house. She proceeded to take out a mortgage, and never made a payment. So he still had stuff in the house and told me to take his keys and go in and get the stuff on this list, before it was foreclosed on (she moved out 30 days before they were supposed to do that, prejudgement). Told me anything else in there (of his) was fair game (aka tools). In his shop, in one case I picked up was an old pair of glasses, that I later learned was from around the 1850's; gold rims. Just saw a pair on CL go for around $300, in under an hour. Makes me think I need to clean out stuff.

Good haul.:thumb: