Thread: 12 sided Bucket

Bloomington MN USA

12 sided Bucket

I had a piece of redwood fence that I have been hanging onto forever. About 40 years or so. Had a few knots but pretty straight grain. I had also just made a tappering jig that I was dieing to try out,other than making a couple of sample cutts. So after cleaning up the redwood fence board and cutting out the pieces to size I at last had my chance to try out the tappering jig. It works great and was the easiest part of the project. The tuff part was trying to glue all of those tapered pieces together and get the bottom to fit into the grooves at the bottom of the bucket.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redwood Bucket.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	57637
    It turned out OK but am thinking about either putting a top on it or making a handle for it.
    The tappering Jig was one I saw on line and it looked like a good project to do. Just don't know how often I will use it. The hold downs were a little tuff bending but the are working very well as do the cams that hold the work piece. I also made the stop block ajustable with extra holes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tappering jig.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	57638
    I know part of the thread belongs in Jigs and Fixtures but the bucket got lonsome.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

new york city burbs
    that is one fancy tapering jig.

My tapering jig is just a piece of melamine, and 2 sticks to hold the angle.

I slide it through the taper cut and slide it back if its a small taper, otherwise the end of the leg is far enough from the blade I hold it down when running to the other side.

I made a 6 sided bucket a while back, not tapered, but I used clear packing tape, laid the pieces on the table flat on top of tape, then glued, and taped it closed in two spots and it held great.
    It was a planter I made out of pressure treated.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Nice job & cool jig ...I'm picturing a hammered wrought iron handle...FWIW

Amherst, New Hampshire
    the bucket is great I can imagine how hard it was to get every part aligned for gluing

Nice jig too
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Cape Cod, Ma.
    Nice work, Challenging little project getting the bevel and angle just right so the last piece meets up with the first piece!

ABQ NM
    Great-looking jig, Ron.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Kansas City, Missouri
    That's a great looking jig The bucket is missing the works for the part that makes ice cream though.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault