Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment

Just wondering allowed here, anyone else on this forum experience corporal punishment at school.

In my elementary / primary school we got wacked with an 18 inch wooden ruler with metal straight edge while we held our hands palms up in front of us.

If we drew the hands away the teacher held them by the tips of our fingers next time.

In high school we had a canning on the behind. Bent over blaser lifted and whack executed through a swing of the cane from above the head of the Vice Principle. Typically 2 but could go to 6.

Justification for the above could vary and cover a broad range of "transgressions". Cheek to a teacher, no homework done, cultivating rebellion (long story), smoking, damage or defacing school property, peashooting paper spit balls, late for school, not attending assembly, talking in assembly..... the list was endless.

Still not sure what it achieved other than galvanising the victims against authority.

Most would prefer caning to detention.

Even girls in my highschool got caned. It was still going when i finished school in 75.

How about you?
    cheers

Being from the Liberal state in Md I think corporal punishment went out with slavery LOL
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

we had it till high school and then it either it went away or i just learned to avoid it..but i do feel its a useful tool and used on my kids when needed. talking and grounding was the go to tool,, and then have both parents abide by the ruling set down on the victums for there transgressions..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Got whacked on the head with a ruler by a teacher once or twice in elementary school but not hard. More kidding around, I think.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

At the end of a day while in 4th grade, a kid I didn't get along with spit on the back of my jacket while we were exiting the buidling. I turned around and hit that kid in the face as hard as a 10 year old could hit another kid. I can distinctly remember him hitting the ground like a ton of bricks. Blood was everywhere. At that point, I bolted for home knowing that I was going to get in bigtime trouble.

At home I confessed to my parents what I did. Their only response was to inform me that anytime a kid spit on me, I had their permission to fight back. What they didn't do was call the school and try and intervene on my behalf. They just expected me to man-up and deal with the consequences of my actions.

Sure enough, the next day at school I was called down to Principal Berrea's office. He asked me what happened and I told him the whole sordid story. He ended up giving me a good licking with a wooden paddle. As I was leaving his office, he winked and said next time, wait until you're off school property before you clobber someone.

Different times for sure.

In grade school, the first few years, I remember the teaching making us line up now and then, and checking our ears, our fingernails, etc.....if she found dirt or not cleaned to her liking, a note was sent home to your parent.

Id have a hard time founding out some 52 y/o male principal made my 12 y/o daughter bend over so he could cane her rear end.
    Id probably be dead if I lived in the country you lived in, because I would have paid the principal a visit with a baseball bat and caned his skull a few times. We live in a world where we let to many things slip by years ago, things noone thought was happening. I discipline my own children, and I dont need anyone doing my job for me when it comes to a minor.

In Pakistan, once the students enter the school, teachers have pretty much total authority over them. Teachers can beat the crap out of them and sometimes they do. Slapping on the face, canning etc is very common. Parents do that at home too. I, personally am in favor of it even though I have been a subject of these punishments myself when I was young..
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

My teachers and principals carried a paddle or had instant access to it. I took beatings in grade school, behaved in middle school and got it again in high school. I don't think the whippings were as bad as I thought. They went out of favor shortly after I left, somewhere around 86 or so.

I have no problem with it. I have even given the teachers permission to do it, when at parent/ teacher conferences.

As too Peters fight story. Yep, if you fought on school property, both members of he fight got a licking.

I remember when I was small, elementary school age. Fight broke out on the bus. Driver, Mr Gunn, threw both out, right in the middle of a gravel road. He told them to finish it, or the bus wouldn't move.

As far as my high school whipping, I still have the most respect for a man as I could. Heck, Larry even met him, last time during the tour.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    In Pakistan, once the students enter the school, teachers have pretty much total authority over them. Teachers can beat the crap out of them and sometimes they do. Slapping on the face, canning etc is very common. Parents do that at home too. I, personally am in favor of it even though I have been a subject of these punishments myself when I was young..
    that surprizes me mohammad i didnt realize they were like that over there..
    one thing i have heard way to often is you cant spank me or do that or i will call the cops or even the real smart ones know the right place ,,child services..that is the attitude that i feel needs to be stopped..our children need to understand discipline and respect both at the same time..i can remeber when the bus drivers had same control over the riders now the riders appear to rule the drivers..

As far as my high school whipping, I still have the most respect for a man as I could. Heck, Larry even met him, last time during the tour.[/QUOTE]

so that guy really did whip your butte??? shoulda bought him a drink