Corporal Punishment

Rob Keeble

Just wondering allowed here, anyone else on this forum experience corporal punishment at school.

In my elementary / primary school we got wacked with an 18 inch wooden ruler with metal straight edge while we held our hands palms up in front of us.

If we drew the hands away the teacher held them by the tips of our fingers next time.

In high school we had a canning on the behind. Bent over blaser lifted and whack executed through a swing of the cane from above the head of the Vice Principle. Typically 2 but could go to 6.

Justification for the above could vary and cover a broad range of "transgressions". Cheek to a teacher, no homework done, cultivating rebellion (long story), smoking, damage or defacing school property, peashooting paper spit balls, late for school, not attending assembly, talking in assembly..... the list was endless.

Still not sure what it achieved other than galvanising the victims against authority.:rofl:

Most would prefer caning to detention.

Even girls in my highschool got caned. It was still going when i finished school in 75.

How about you?

we had it till high school and then it either it went away or i just learned to avoid it..but i do feel its a useful tool and used on my kids when needed. talking and grounding was the go to tool,, and then have both parents abide by the ruling set down on the victums for there transgressions..

At the end of a day while in 4th grade, a kid I didn't get along with spit on the back of my jacket while we were exiting the buidling. I turned around and hit that kid in the face as hard as a 10 year old could hit another kid. I can distinctly remember him hitting the ground like a ton of bricks. Blood was everywhere. At that point, I bolted for home knowing that I was going to get in bigtime trouble.

At home I confessed to my parents what I did. Their only response was to inform me that anytime a kid spit on me, I had their permission to fight back. What they didn't do was call the school and try and intervene on my behalf. They just expected me to man-up and deal with the consequences of my actions.

Sure enough, the next day at school I was called down to Principal Berrea's office. He asked me what happened and I told him the whole sordid story. He ended up giving me a good licking with a wooden paddle. As I was leaving his office, he winked and said next time, wait until you're off school property before you clobber someone.

Different times for sure.

In grade school, the first few years, I remember the teaching making us line up now and then, and checking our ears, our fingernails, etc.....if she found dirt or not cleaned to her liking, a note was sent home to your parent.

Id have a hard time founding out some 52 y/o male principal made my 12 y/o daughter bend over so he could cane her rear end.
Id probably be dead if I lived in the country you lived in, because I would have paid the principal a visit with a baseball bat and caned his skull a few times. We live in a world where we let to many things slip by years ago, things noone thought was happening. I discipline my own children, and I dont need anyone doing my job for me when it comes to a minor.

In Pakistan, once the students enter the school, teachers have pretty much total authority over them. Teachers can beat the crap out of them and sometimes they do. Slapping on the face, canning etc is very common. Parents do that at home too. I, personally am in favor of it even though I have been a subject of these punishments myself when I was young..

My teachers and principals carried a paddle or had instant access to it. I took beatings in grade school, behaved in middle school and got it again in high school. I don't think the whippings were as bad as I thought. They went out of favor shortly after I left, somewhere around 86 or so.

I have no problem with it. I have even given the teachers permission to do it, when at parent/ teacher conferences.

As too Peters fight story. Yep, if you fought on school property, both members of he fight got a licking.

I remember when I was small, elementary school age. Fight broke out on the bus. Driver, Mr Gunn, threw both out, right in the middle of a gravel road. He told them to finish it, or the bus wouldn't move.

As far as my high school whipping, I still have the most respect for a man as I could. Heck, Larry even met him, last time during the tour.

In Pakistan, once the students enter the school, teachers have pretty much total authority over them. Teachers can beat the crap out of them and sometimes they do. Slapping on the face, canning etc is very common. Parents do that at home too. I, personally am in favor of it even though I have been a subject of these punishments myself when I was young..

that surprizes me mohammad i didnt realize they were like that over there..
one thing i have heard way to often is you cant spank me or do that or i will call the cops or even the real smart ones know the right place ,,child services..that is the attitude that i feel needs to be stopped..our children need to understand discipline and respect both at the same time..i can remeber when the bus drivers had same control over the riders now the riders appear to rule the drivers..

As far as my high school whipping, I still have the most respect for a man as I could. Heck, Larry even met him, last time during the tour.[/QUOTE]

so that guy really did whip your butte???:):) shoulda bought him a drink:)

My dad would use a light wack of a knuckle on my brother and my head to get our attention. Worked like a charm. :) In first grade a nun gave a classmate of mine a bloody nose. His parents told him that night not to talk back to Sister Litisia again. He didn't. :rolleyes: The ruler to the fingers happened all the time...I got wacked pretty hard in the back a few times by Sister Wilma, the principal, I was a slow learner I guess...:huh:...

Somehow, my parents put not a fear of them getting mad, but a fear of self humility and dissappointing them if I did something wrong...I hope I can do the same for my daughter.

Now the high school I teach at uses first, Wed. night detention, second is ISS=In School Suspension, then OSS=Out of School Suspension, then expulsion. Myself, I was on the receiving end of the paddle a time or two ;). I behaved in the classroom, but the playground, I got into it. My high school years, I wasn't the bully, but didn't take anything from anyone. Got my rear paddled and got it at home. If when I went to school they used the ISS and OSS punishments, I'd still be going to school! :eek:
I have said before, I dislike strongly zero tolerance things. No corporal punishment is a disaster. For childlike behavior, if they still paddled, the kids could get instant feedback for their behavior and then return to the classroom to continue their education. I have students that have so many slips and time booked in the Wed. night room and then ISS that they don't even remember why they are there. :doh:
It has made me a better teacher not having that crutch.

...one thing i have heard way to often is you cant spank me or do that or i will call the cops or even the real smart ones know the right place ,,child services..that is the attitude that i feel needs to be stopped..our children need to understand discipline and respect both at the same time..i can remeber when the bus drivers had same control over the riders now the riders appear to rule the drivers..

Yes, yes, and yes...:thumb::thumb:

They were still paddling rears up until about my middle school years. My dad always stood by my actions when I got in a fight, but like Peter, was left to deal with the consequences at school.

When I was younger, my parents went to the county fair and everyday they collected a stack of yard sticks given out by the local carpet dealer (my dad was a big customer of theirs). By the next year, mom had gone through most of those sticks. My brother always got it the worst as he'd stick his elbow back and break the sticks in two as mom was swatting him. That never fared well for him, as mom would just double up the two halves and really let him have it. :)

They were still paddling rears up until about my middle school years. My dad always stood by my actions when I got in a fight, but like Peter, was left to deal with the consequences at school.

When I was younger, my parents went to the county fair and everyday they collected a stack of yard sticks given out by the local carpet dealer (my dad was a big customer of theirs). By the next year, mom had gone through most of those sticks. My brother always got it the worst as he'd stick his elbow back and break the sticks in two as mom was swatting him. That never fared well for him, as mom would just double up the two halves and really let him have it. :)

boy that brought back a memory!!!1 i tried that one time with my great big mom, just over 5ft tall and maybe 135lbs,, she went for my behind and i tried to slow the thrust with my arm well the next lick was across my fore arms and i was told to stand still or she would have dad finish it i stood like the best ole mule yu ever had..
dad was bigger and he would pick us up with one hand and use his other hand or his belt to get the job done ,, at 16 almost 17 he told me at the burning barrel no more spankings,, the next time i needed something it would be his hand in my face:eek: after that i got alot better about stayun out his way or moms in regards to disrespect or not doing as i was told..

that ruler is still in one piece today ,, it was 3/8" thick and i will grab it one day when they are threw using it...

Boy talk about hidings and you guys are all awake...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Now try to tell me it didnt leave scars.:rofl::rofl:

Well i remember two very specific spankings.

One was a result of being party to a revolt. Yeah. At my high school we had what one called prefects. I dunno but seems they chose the trouble makers to do the job. Anyhow we were expected to be leaders and to conduct squad drills in the pm after school.
You all seen pictures of the hitler youth marching with their brown uniforms and little peak caps. Well believe it or not our gov had the same idea (mmm what makes you think they modeled the place on mein kampf).

Anyhow by the time i came to the age of being a prefect and having to take squad drill i flat out refused this nonsense. I had a friend whose father was a glider pilot in WW2 he cultivated my sense of right and wrong.

Well i mustered a mutiny on the part of all the prefects including the headboy. We all got marched off to the "office" for 6 of the best and after that were expelled from the school. It was our final year anyhow and we were facing the final national exams so we did not mind. I was not about to be some nutcases toy soldier. 6 months later we were all serving in the army.:rofl::rofl: Boy i hated drill.

Then at home the gap between me and my siblings was min 8 years. Older brother and i would walk the garden in the evening with mom inspecting the flower beds. We had a fair size garden. Well one eveing mom said to put the hose on and water the garden. Well i fetched and brother held it and i ran back to the rear of the house turned tap on and ran back to hold the hose. Brother would not hand over the hose. So i thought i will get you. Mom was not prepared to referee. Into the house i went, got the sunday roast carving knife, cut the hose in three places and shoved it still running into the bushes. Well got the hiding of my life that evening when Dad got home. :rofl::rofl::rofl: funny thing is Dad dont remember.:eek:

Our Coc does not permit me linking to it but if you want a real laugh look up Russel Peters somebody gonna get hurt real bad, on YT.

Larry if you aint seen this one you gotta look at it. Mohammed you will crack up with this guy if you aint already seen him.

dont remember.:eek:

Our Coc does not permit me linking to it but if you want a real laugh look up Russel Peters somebody gonna get hurt real bad, on YT.

Larry if you aint seen this one you gotta look at it. Mohammed you will crack up with this guy if you aint already seen him.

I have been to one of his stand-up comedy shows a couple of years ago. I will definitely check this one out. Thanx.

I was pretty will behaved in school, but there was the threat of the paddle all the way to High School. In the lower grades the paddle had holes drilled in it - supposed to make it more painful, I think:huh:.

The couple of times I did get the paddle(due to a misunderstanding ;)), the worse part came when I got home...my mom would send me out to "find a switch", and then (assuming it was big enough) she would wear me out with it. I really hated the whistling sound it made (not to mention the red stripes on the back of my legs...)

Yea Larry, Mr Logston. I believe you to sat close to each other. Been out close to 30 years now, still call him Mister, still have great respect for him. When he finally passes on, the world will loose a great man.

I was a good little kid but that went out the window about 9th grade and I got regular paddlings for about a year. I also was a teacher for 28 years and administered corporal punishment for the first 18 years or so. A good attention getter is good for a kid and if done properly it will actually draw a teacher and student close together. I never paddled a student when either of us was angry.