Building a new shop Yeah!

Oh no...not liveable at all...no fridge :rofl:

I have hit a bump in the road however. Here is my current problem. I have now decided that I want to add some pegboard to some walls. This means that I will need to add some strips of wood to the wall first in order to create some space between the pegboard and walls so the hangers will fit on the pegboard. My electrical outlets are already set in place. Is there a way to bring my outlets out away from the wall once installed. I'm guessing I would need to bring them out at least an inch. HMMMMM....wished I had thought of this about a month ago. :huh:

Tom make life easy cut out peg board around your outlet and leave it at that.
Thats my 5 cents. Who knows after a while you may wish to change up the pegboard.
Consider hanging your pegboard from a common french cleat.
Run a half a french cleat around the area you have in mind. Then you can mount and hang anything you like but be able to shuffle it around to suit you evolving needs.
From my experience and what i have seen happen to most nothing stays the same in the shop. Flexibility in a small shop is essential.

Good deals you got their. You and Mohammad should team up as top bargain hunters. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I need a place to store some of my lumber so I think I want to add some storage racks on one of the side walls of the shed. My studs are 24" apart so I'm thinking of using 3 hangers per row and maybe have like 3 rows. My thoughts were to simply make some 2x4 brackets and screw them to the wall studs. Is there any rule of thumb as to how far out I can make these stick out from the wall?. I'm guessing no more than about 15 inches? Any suggestions would be great.

Attachments

• wood storage racks (Small).jpg
    wood storage racks (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 48
tom the borgs have some good brackets and hardware. anchor one on each of your studs the length you have in lumber and you can have them in 12" length maybe longer but not much

I've decided to just use 2 x 4's for my lumber brackets. I have a question about which (if either) would be the strongest way to bolt the 2x4's into place. I'm planning on placing a 15" long 2x4 on each side of my wall stud with a 2x4 support (with 45 degree angles) in the center. I have carriage bolts to secure it to the studs. My question is....is there any structral difference in how I drill and bolt the brackets to to studs?
Here is a quick drawing. Does it make any difference?
1 bolts (Small).jpg2 bolts (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Now Tom looking at that picture i see you got an alien invasion. I dont recall your shop being having to do double duty. :)

Rob, my first post mentioned that this would be a dual purpose building....I originally only needed a building to keep the camper out of the weather. Only after realizing that I could add another 10 feet of building for not much more money did I decide I could do a shop. Glad I did!

I've decided to just use 2 x 4's for my lumber brackets. I have a question about which (if either) would be the strongest way to bolt the 2x4's into place. I'm planning on placing a 15" long 2x4 on each side of my wall stud with a 2x4 support (with 45 degree angles) in the center. I have carriage bolts to secure it to the studs. My question is....is there any structral difference in how I drill and bolt the brackest to to studs?
Here is a quick drawing. Does it make any difference?
View attachment 63576View attachment 63577

I basically did the same thing Tom just used half lap joints, glued and screwed and they hold a lot of weight. I did not use any support brackets either:)

tom you can get more strength with less bulk from ply wood.. tod evans had one that was holding an extreme amount of wood at one time and that deal at wood craft would be sweet way to get your storage done quick.. as for the peg board just put it above the outlets..problem solved or you could do like rob said and cut a hole in there

This will be my last update on this thread. I had this building built mainly to store our pop up camper. I decided to add a few extra sq.feet to the end of the building to give myself a dedicated wood shop. The camper is now out of the weather and my shop is 99% complete. I only have my big lathe yet to move out to the shop and that will happen when ever I can get a couple extra hands to help me with it. Space is a premium and I will have to maximize all of it. Deciding where everything is going to go has been a slow process for me. In the end I think it is going to be just right for me. I don't make large furniture or any large projects so most everything I have ever made or plan to make should be able to be done here. I still have my garage if I get a wild hair for something big. I did this whole project on a pretty small budget. I bought EVERYTHING either on sale or at a garage sale or cheap on Craigslist. It was fun finding all the bargains when I needed them. I usually don't have the patience to wait.... but I did on this project.
One of my space saving ideas is under my drill press. I needed to build a bench to sit my drill press on. I had also been thinking about where I was going to store all my plans, books, drawings, manuals and such. Then it hit me one day. I had this 2 drawer file cabinet in my garage so I built a 2x4 frame around the cabinet and covered it with plywood then gave it all a coat of paint. It is now very sturdy and provides a place for the drill press at just the right height. Next to it is a small bench that started it's life as a chest of drawers. I found this at a small resale shop I like to go to. It was built out of all 2x4's. Very sturdy! I pulled the drawer fronts off and used the drawer bottoms as a shelf screwed in place. Painted it up and it now makes a great place to store all my small bench top tools. Very easy to mix-N-match tools as needed. My big lathe will sit along the wall where you see my space heater and shop vac now. I bought a dust collector (but now wonder if that is overkill for this small shop) and it sits on the other side of the wall with the camper. I have 6" PVC pipe for my headers to go along two walls but have yet to hang them, then I will probably add about 4 drops from it to my machines with flex hose. I'm thinking a floor sweep pick up in the far corner where the big lathe will sit might be nice.
Well that's it...my little shop...not much but it fits my needs.shop 1 (Small).jpgshop 2 (Small).JPGshop 3 (Small).JPGshop 4 (Small).JPGshop 5 (Small).JPG