This is an oddball-shaped piece of red eucalyptus that I decided to experiment on.
After getting it close to final size and not liking what I was seeing, I almost threw it away, then I decided to do a little extra shaping with a coping saw and patternmaker's rasp to blend some of the uncomfortable lines. (I hated to see the nice curly wood go to waste.)
The finish is a couple coats of wipe-on gloss poly, then lightly buffed and waxed. I had to glue both of the bark pieces back on at different times, but the one missing chunk on the edge was gone before I even mounted the blank on the lathe.
I was trying for a winged bowl, but I hadn't really planned on the final kidney shape. I intentionally kept the foot a bit wide...I wanted it that way. Finished size is about 7 1/2" x 3".
Had I not messed up when I originally placed the blank on the lathe, the bowl would have been centered better, and more round overall, but I wouldn't have ended up with the sculpted shape.
Sort of a mistake gone right. I think I may have to try more of this.