Semi-Winged Sorta-NE Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is an oddball-shaped piece of red eucalyptus that I decided to experiment on.

DSC_1173 C 640.jpg

After getting it close to final size and not liking what I was seeing, I almost threw it away, then I decided to do a little extra shaping with a coping saw and patternmaker's rasp to blend some of the uncomfortable lines. (I hated to see the nice curly wood go to waste.)

DSC_1177 C 640.jpg

The finish is a couple coats of wipe-on gloss poly, then lightly buffed and waxed. I had to glue both of the bark pieces back on at different times, but the one missing chunk on the edge was gone before I even mounted the blank on the lathe.

DSC_1180 C 640.jpg

I was trying for a winged bowl, but I hadn't really planned on the final kidney shape. I intentionally kept the foot a bit wide...I wanted it that way. Finished size is about 7 1/2" x 3".

DSC_1185 C 640.jpg

Had I not messed up when I originally placed the blank on the lathe, the bowl would have been centered better, and more round overall, but I wouldn't have ended up with the sculpted shape.

DSC_1179 C 640.jpg

Sort of a mistake gone right. :eek: I think I may have to try more of this.

- Vaughn

Great save Vaughn! even though the shape is a bit diffrent I like it............ and I'm not a great fan of winged bowls.