Where is it ?

I've been in here a few times this morning so it must be here ! I think the ADD is kicking in. I can not work because I put my mask down and can not find it.

Dose this happen to you ? put something down and can not find it. I know it's staring at me ....................:huh:

OK mystery is over, Jarrod closed the garage door and I put it on the BBQ Grill. All I had to do was look outside ! Da

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many times that happens to me.

My problem is that with my OCD, I get so fixated on 'finding' what is missing that sometimes I'll look for hours... :eek:

When i made my gouge rack, I put 6 pencil holes in it and 6 pencils. That was 3 weeks ago. I have 1....I spend 20 a day looking for them

Yeah I have at least 4 tapes. I think that's all I've ever found at one time, could have more lurking around the shop/house/garage. I've been tempted to make holders for every tool in the shop for pencils and tapes, and just keep one at every spot I might need one.

I lose my drill press chuck key all the time. I'm about to the point of getting one of those retractable things to attach it to the DP.

Just do it. One of the first things I did to my drill press many, many years ago. I can only imagine what would have happened to my very fragile sanity if I hadn't! :rolleyes: :D

Pictures Added

Yeah I have at least 4 tapes. I think that's all I've ever found at one time, could have more lurking around the shop/house/garage. I've been tempted to make holders for every tool in the shop for pencils and tapes, and just keep one at every spot I might need one.

I have pretty much done that. I have pencils at all machines (however, thickness planer does not have a sacred spot for them). I have ear muffs and/or ear plugs at all machines. I have tape measure within reach of all machinery. I have safety glasses that fit over my Rx glasses at every station---Just in case I am there wilthout my Rx safety glasses.

The above seems to work. I will have to admit that once-in-a-while I get down to one pencil at a station. That tells me to go round up a bunch for this location. I have automatic pencils .07 and .05 and wooden pencils. However, only one electric pencil sharpener---If I take a pencil to the sharpener, I usually grab a few more to do at that time.

On the outside of my cabinet doors I have holders for colored pencils, Sharpies, erasers, etc. I also have a holder for a blade, a #2 Phillips, and a #2 square driver. One of the pencil holder type boxes I use also has a small blade screwdriver and a small Phillips. There is an adjustable 4 inch square, a pair of ordinary (as a kid we called them gas pliers) pliers, a 5 inch adjustable wrench (as a kid we called them "Knuckle busters" or some other, less complimentary name), a face mask, two small and two large clip-boards, a compass plus whatever else I reach for and cannot think of now (I'm upstairs, the shop is downstairs and I'm tired),

I bet many of you have an extra of most of the items I mentioned above. Having them hanging on the outside of the cupboard is really handy---saves a lot of steps and a lot of hunting. I'll go take a pic.

Glenn Arrived. Have to stop for awhile. Will add the pics then.

Enjoy,

Jim

Oh yeah, I saw scissors, mallet, steel rules, razor knife, vernier, and telephone on the door also.

Last edited:
I don't do the pay for pencils thing. yet I have a drawer full of them and the door pocket of the truck is full and the fist cubby in the tool box is also full of them. With all of these pencils one would think you could just walk in and grab one. :doh: No some days it can take 5 minutes or better to scare one up :rofl::rofl: Tape measures there has got to be 12 in the shop right now I can find 2 the one I just put on the bench and one I spied earler looking for one of the 6 chalk lines out there. Note I did not how ever find one of the chalk lines:doh::huh::dunno:
As for the put something down and can't find it that drives me crazy some times. :bang: The other one is walk right up to the place you know you put something and it's not there. You just know that's wear it's posed to be but it's not. Look the whole shop over 3 times for hours and finely find it right wear it was posed to be and in the spot you started.:doh:

My glasses, don't need them up close like following a cut line on the band saw, but can't focus across the room without them...never can remember where I laid them...on more occasions than I care to admit, they've been located on top of my head, right where I pushed them :rofl:

That's why I haven't changed out of my current pair of jeans for the last 10 years...never lose anything :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the other hand, I have to buy 12 packs of pens every month and Brent can't seem to explain where they all go. Good thing I've learned to keep my own stash :wave:

I have a very good solution when I lose something. After I hunt for a half-hour or some other rediculus (or however you spell it) amount of time, I go get my Myrna tool.

The Myrna tool is essential to my sanity. I go in the house and say something like, "Honey, will you help me find ____?" She asks what it is. I say something like, it looks like the thing you use to take the leaves off of strawberries.

So she comes out to the shop and in 3 minutes has found my Romex cover stripper. Of course it is right where it should be and right where I have looked six times. Couldn't live without my Myrna tool.

Enjoy,

Jim

I lose my drill press chuck key all the time. I'm about to the point of getting one of those retractable things to attach it to the DP.

I just put a large rare earth magnet on the side of the DP head. The key sticks right to it. I have a retractable thingy around here somewhere that I no longer use. I found the retract tension bothersome but, it did keep track of the key.

The "vanishing" item that really stops me cold is the one that disappears when I haven't even left the area. I mean, I will be standing at the bandsaw, set something down, do a couple of things without even taking a single step away from the bandsaw and presto; my push stick, pencil or whatever, will vanish. Its those same gremlins that have a large half-pair collection of my socks.

Last edited:

I do the same. I drilled a hole at the very front corner on top of the pulley cover and just drop the key handle in there. It's the one thing in my shop besides stationary equipment that I don't lose.....

Pencils and tapes. unless they are surgically attached to my hand they get swallowed up into the vortex of another dimension. The same goes for my utility knife if I don't keep it in my pocket........:dunno::huh::doh::bang::pullhair: :tantrum: probably about sums that up on a typical day....

One thing I have figured out though... it will always be in the last place you look! :)

Last edited:
I also have an earth magnet on my DP head. The magnet to key surface is much less than the magnet to DP surface so the magnet stays on the DP.

I find that putting just the end, the tenon that goes in the chuck hole, is the most convenient way to use it. The key handle sticks out in space and is real easy to get a hold of. When I replace the key on the DP, I already have a hold of the handle so it is a natural movement to put the tenon on the magnet. I did not do it that way at first, thinking that the key might fall---it never has.

Glenn's second paragraph is so true---I mean I have not taken one step and the whatever is lost. And it has been that way, even way back before my marbles started leaking out.

When I was in high-school and college I built very high quality sound systems---solder the condensers, resistors, tube sockets, potentiometers, etc. Add the turntables and/or record changers, and usually Altec Lansing speakers. If microphones were used they would usually be Western Electric.

Gads, I have a mouth (keyboard). All I meant to say was, "I'm sitting at the bench assembling the parts, I put one down, I can't find it three minutes later and I have not even got up out of my swivel chair."

Enjoy,

Jim