Power problems with the new saw

Drew Watson

Been thinking about heading to Bellingham Washington to do some shopping at grizzly. I have been thinking about getting a grizzly 17-19 inch band saw. Any advice or personal experience with these saws or other advice?

Last edited:
My experience is all their tools are very good. My Grizzly bandsaw is the G0555, a 14" model. It performs flawlessly. I have no doubt you will be happy with whatever model you choose. Do keep us informed about what you do.

I have the GO555X 14" bandsaw from Grizzly and love it as well. I bought the riser kit with mine and recently resawed some 10" wide boards into 1/4" slices....worked great!

I recently got a G0514X2B 19" (3 HP) bandsaw- haven't really pushed it yet, but so far I'm quite happy with it. I especially like the table tilting crank.

Drew, I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the Grizzly saws in that range.

I have a 14" Shop Fox (Grizzly with a different label) and have been happy with it. I'd love to replace it with something bigger, and the Grizzly 17" and 19" models are on the short list. My only misgivings are that most of their 17" and 19" bandsaws only have a 12" cutting height. I have that much now, and would like to have more. Something like the GO701 would fit the bill, though. ;)

And congrats, Jim. Nice stealth pre-gloat. :D :thumb:

Thanks for all the advice on this guys. So is there a huge difference between the 2 hp and the 3? Yea Vaughn the ultimate would be sweet but I do have a ceiling on the price so i am restricted a bit ( for now lol )

Been thinking about heading to Bellingham Washington to do some shopping at grizzly. I have been thinking about getting a grizzly 17-19 inch band saw. Any advice or personal experience with these saws or other advice?

Well you know which one I got...

Unfortunately I can't give you much advice as it's still unplugged. I've got the 220 in the shop now, and I'm painting today, (I was insulating and then drywalling/mudding...) so I'm hoping to start putting the shop back together next week!

But I still have an opinion. :p

I resawed the max of 5-6" on my old 3/4hp 14" import bandsaw. THe key is a sharp blade and slow feed. I've now got 12" of resaw on the new saw, and 2hp, and from what I've heard it will still come down to a good blade and feed rate.

I bought this saw primarily for resaw. I plan to put a wide blade on it and (probably) leave it there. So I don't think the increased throat depth of a 19" would make much difference to me. They have the same resaw capability, don't they? As a hobbiest, I think I'll be totally happy with the 17".

ps:
Why now, Drew, shouldn't you have gone last week for the tent sale? :huh:

Well you know which one I got...

Unfortunately I can't give you much advice as it's still unplugged. I've got the 220 in the shop now, and I'm painting today, (I was insulating and then drywalling/mudding...) so I'm hoping to start putting the shop back together next week!

But I still have an opinion. :p

I resawed the max of 5-6" on my old 3/4hp 14" import bandsaw. THe key is a sharp blade and slow feed. I've now got 12" of resaw on the new saw, and 2hp, and from what I've heard it will still come down to a good blade and feed rate.

I bought this saw primarily for resaw. I plan to put a wide blade on it and (probably) leave it there. So I don't think the increased throat depth of a 19" would make much difference to me. They have the same resaw capability, don't they? As a hobbiest, I think I'll be totally happy with the 17".

ps:
Why now, Drew, shouldn't you have gone last week for the tent sale? :huh:

Art, Drew is looking to buy a band-saw not a tent....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can cut real close to 12" on my old G1019 it had a 3/4 hp motor but now has a 1 1/2 hp motor that I had sitting around the shop. The extra 3/4 hp made all the difference.

It cuts bowl blanks real good as well as re-sawing.

Last edited:
Oh I would have gone last weekend but I am in the middle of painting the house ( outside) and the fence as the last time they were done was some 20 yrs ago. Still have to re roof the house this year too and I am not looking forward to doing that as I have T locks and have to replace them with 3 tabs. Yea the list just goes on and on:(. On top of all that the border crossing is nuts with a 2-3 hr wait at the border on the weekends, as well as the ferry waits . I am taking a day off mid week soon so that I can arrange the trip. I would have liked to have gone for the tent sale.

Drew: on the 2hp v. 3hp.

With my Laguna Resaw King blades (pricy!), the 2hp has absolutely no problem going through 12" wide purpleheart or hard maple.

With a 3/4" Timberwolf, it doesn't seem to tax the saw very much at all, though it's not quite like butter as the Laguna blade is. Plenty smooth cuts, though, for most folks and it holds up just fine with 2hp behind it.

I'd been meaning to try out the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware but I got the deal on the Resaw King before that day came along and now I'm hooked on those blades despite their price.

Well was going to go to Bellingham but am checking out what the shipping costs are now that Griz ships to Canada. Waiting for the quote for home delivery or me going to pick it up from the UPS depot. The cost to drive there is quite high with two ferry trips and the gas and expected 2-3 hr wait at the border. why bother as the wife said just get it delivered if the price is right.

I think I have decided on the GO513X2B. cast iron trunions and cast wheels, two fences and a miter guage and an electric break. Not sure what the difference between the manual break and the electric is and I am sceptical about it but this is what is offered. It also comes with a 1/2 inch blade. Has anyone delt with the timber wolf blades or are they just junk? What is a good bandsaw blade and what sizes work the best for cutting blanks for turning?

I looked at similar models and the 19 inch and the 3 hp but for the price this looks like the best deal. I did notice a difference in the pricing from the cataloge ($1,095) and what is advertised on line ($1,150).

Last edited:
Great choice, Drew. :thumb:

The factory blade will probably be junk. Timberwolf blades are great, but about three times the cost they should be. I get my blades from Ellis Manufacturing. They don't have online ordering (you have to call them), and they have a $50 minimum order, but their "flexback" blades (listed at the bottom of the page) are as good or better than the Timberwolf blades I've bought, and about 1/3 the price. I mainly use the 1/2" 3tpi hook tooth blades, although the 3/8" 3tpi is a better choice for smaller blanks and turning a tighter radius. You can mix and match blades to get to the minimum order, so you can get a few different widths and tooth configurations to have on hand. Bandsaw blades are expendables like sandpaper, so I always try to have a few on hand.

Recieved the e-mail from Grizzly today and the shipping is really reasonable $149.00, of course that doesn't include tax's but I have noticed a difference in price from the cataloge and what I was quoted of 55 bucks more. I have replied with an e-mail to clarify what the pricing is as well as asking why the difference and to confirm that we are talking about the same tool. Also there was no word on the delivery fee or how long it will take to get here.

Well drew 149 dont by much gas these days so given all the hassles i would say thats a pretty good deal. Just make sure it includes the customs brokerage fee from the freight forwarder.
Taxes are taxes anx aint gonna go away if you drive to collect in fact if there is state tax in Washington state the you would pay that as well if you drive down to pick up. Grizzly is forced to recover that on a local purchase. btdt. Except in my case i was out of our country and in USA for more than 7 days. In that case you get $750 duty free allowance and my purchase was witbin that so no tax at all. no gst or at the time pst (would be hst today). there is no actual import duty on these items under nafta.

sent from my Atrix

I know it is a good deal Rob no matter how you look at it and you have to remember I live on an island so we have to pay ferry fares both ways (200) as well as driving and that in itself is a huge cost. Yes the state tax's are another issue too as we have the HST here right now as well but that is cheaper the the combined GST/Pst. I am just not understanding the cataloge pricing as the on line cataloge is a higher pricing than the cataloge that was picked up for me last month. I mean it in no way will deture me from getting it but I just want to know why I am paying more for shopping on line. It will be interesting as to what they say when they respond to my e-mail about this.

Well after careful consideration I ordered the G0513X2B 17" 2 HP Extreme series bandsaw with electric brake yesterday and added the 3/4 inch blade. Just recieved the confirmation of shipping tonight at 7:50. :thumb::thumb: It will be interesting as to how long it takes to get from Bellingham to Victoria and if there are any problems going through the border and customs. :)