Great deal on General Moisture Meter

Wow thats an incredible deal Hans.

Pity i dont know why but Lowes US does not have online ordering for shipping.

Pity would be a great deal. Anyone going to bother ordering one online for pick up at their local lowes?

If so if you willing i would like to ride alone so to speak. :) Pm if you gonna get one.

I ordered two, for myself and a friend. I picked them up and when I tried the first one at home, I only got occasional readings, mostly it just sat at zero.

I finally got back to Lowe's and found a helpful guy in the tools department.

He tried the first meter - the one I had been trying to use. It would occasionally flash a reading, but the reading would disappear before you could be confident you had read it. He tried the scraps of oak, cherry, and maple that I took in to test, then he went to the lumber racks and tried numerous pieces with the same (non) results. He concluded that I should return it.

I said, do you want to try the other one, to see if it works. The second unit was worse than the first - it didn't even flash a reading.

I said, do you want to go through your inventory to see if you have a good one (or two). He went and talked to the manager. When he came back, they were suddenly out of stock (I suspect the stock was pulled),

When I went back to the returns desk, she said "why are you returning it?" I said "doesn't work." She said "my boss will have my head." I said "how about 'suckey'." She asked do you remember who you talked to? She paged him and he gave her words about beeping nicely, display was pretty, but no moisture readings. She felt confident she would keep her head, and I got my credit.

They said that a different model would be available starting in September, but it would be more expensive.

Sorry to hear that Charlie, the one I got here works just fine and it displays readings, beeps and all of that. A friend also got one and has had no problems with his either. How accurate it is I really don't know as I have nothing to compare it to. I have tried it on several pieces from firewood outside to hardwood in the shop and the readings appear to be about where I expected them to be, just guessing here of course.:dunno:

The reading that flashed occasionally on dry hardwood in my shop was in the 6% ballpark, which is completely logical, but the local Lowe's, as the clerk thought, may have gotten a bad batch.

Warning stands - try it before you leave the store - or at least before you leave the parking lot. I would still like to get one or two, if they worked.

updated

Guess I should go out and check mine. It's been sitting on the extension table of the contractor saw since I brought it home Monday. Jim.

edit: Well, I tried it...it no workie. Won't power up. Battery shows good though. Will have to go swap it out and try again. Jim.

Last edited:
Jim, did you push and hold the power button down like the instructions say to do? it takes it a couple of seconds to power up. I didn't do that the first time I turned mine on.:doh:
Chuck

I tried it both ways. But I will try again. I did think I saw a flash on the screen a couple times.....My bad!! Thanks Charles! I didn't hold it down long enough I guess. Either that, or I was holding the wrong button.:dunno: Seems to work fine. Jim.