Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIL's urn

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

FIL's urn

Well it is what it is.First time tring this kind of finish and first urn that turned out good enough to use. My wife choise the design and the finish so as long as Sher and my mother in law are happy i guess i'm all right with it.
    Had a heck of a time getting the last 3 inches hollowed as i don't have a hollowing rig.(on my to get list for sure) Will never try this with out one again. Size is 8 wide at the top, 5 inches at the bottom, and 11 1/2 tall.
    Ok lets here all the comments as i really think it looks like a milk can my grandfather used when he had his farm.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003 [800x600].JPG   004 [800x600].JPG  

I like it; I really like the color and shape. I remember helping my dad with those milk cans. Was your FIL a farmer? I'm sure they will be pleased.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    I like it; I really like the color and shape. I remember helping my dad with those milk cans. Was your FIL a farmer? I'm sure they will be pleased.
    Ron no my father in law was a areo space eng. He worked for IBM for 35 years before retiring. My moms father was a farmer and as a kid i really enjoyed spending time on that farm.

I like it. I like the coloring of it and the threaded coupling.

I like the irony of a a hi-tech aero engineer with an earthy urn.

Well done....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Nice job bud...You did a cool job of keeping it simple and honorable. Looks like PVC for the threads? Hope you guys find peace.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

It looks great to me. Well balanced and looks to be the right size too. Well done.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Stephen, looks top notch to me. Can't imagine all the thoughts going through your head while turning that piece. Making something like that is a challenge for me as I don't have the hollowing rig either. But then the reason for the object, I cannot imagine the range of emotions you dealt with. I think it is a beautiful form and obviously made with love and respect.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I think you did a great job, Steve. Nice form, color, and wood, and I like the PVC thread idea. I need to turn an urn for my ex-wife's dog, and I'm planning to do the thread thing on it, too. I didn't use thread on my MIL's urn, and wish that I had.

All my best to your wife and the rest of the family.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The design and finish look fantastic. I'm sure all your work will be greatly appreciated.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks all, can't say as it was a fun project. But the wife likes it, and i'll show it to the MIL later today and see what she thinks.