Finish Question

Rob Keeble

How long does wipe on poly last once can has been opened?

Beginning to think i should have bought a smaller tin and rather buy more frequently in small quatities.:dunno:

I usually buy it in quart size cans. The one I'm using now has been around for about 6 months. Still cures OK. The only annoying problem is the hardened old poly around the spout and cap.

The jury is still out Rob, some people have it around for a few years...in cooler climates, and others a few months...in really hot places. If it doesn't go tacky in a couple hours (depending on the wood and level of finish) wipe it down with mineral spirits and get new stuff.

There are a lot of variables to give a time element. I would suggest to buy a regular oil base polyurethane, or varnish, instead of a packaged wipe on version. That way, you can mix your own (as needed) making notes of the ratio of the mix. When needed, mix on the spot with a pour out amount, and cap the source. This limits the exposure that open cans experience.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

If oxidation is the problem with it going bad, get a can of Bloxigen, got mine at Woodcraft, and give a 2 or 3 second spray of that before sealing up. It is heavier than the air we breath, and is an inert gas. I used it in my can of Waterlox and it worked great, right up to the point when I shook the can to mix it up and oxygenated the mixture, and ruined it. :doh: Before that, it had lasted for about a year and a half. Just a thought. (But don't shake the mixture, what ever it is!) Jim.