Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw Base Cabinet--Wild Hair Idea

Tablesaw Base Cabinet--Wild Hair Idea

I've been thinking again. Run for the hills!

Well, if you didn't heed my warning, here's my thought. I am planning to build a box on which I'll mount my Jet contractor's saw. I think I would use the space directly below the saw for dust collection access. I was wondering about getting a cheap, small, maybe used DC motor/blower assembly and installing it so the intake is attached directly to the dust collection port on the bottom of the saw. I'd probably use a short bit of DC flex hose to isolate vibration from the DC motor. The output would be fed to the existing DC with the canister filter.

What do you think?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

It'd have to be a real tiny blower because the boost might actually burn up your existing DC. A blower works harder the more air it's moving, even if that air's boosted. Keep an ammeter on that current DC motor and see if it draws too much current.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    It'd have to be a real tiny blower because the boost might actually burn up your existing DC. A blower works harder the more air it's moving, even if that air's boosted. Keep an ammeter on that current DC motor and see if it draws too much current.
    ok jason heres a? fer ya. if i was to locate my DC blower and motor outside with the exhaust going straight to the air outside you tellin me that i would or could burn up my blower motor becasue i had not enough back pressure?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ok jason heres a? fer ya. if i was to locate my DC blower and motor outside with the exhaust going straight to the air outside you tellin me that i would or could burn up my blower motor becasue i had not enough back pressure?
    I wouldn't say that definitively, no. The back pressure DOES have an impact, but you're likely to have plenty of resistence in your ductwork and fittings to make up for any loss in back pressure. I will say that climate control in your shop would be more of a challenge in this situation, though
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

the 24" out feed line it doesnt take much of the heat, i just have the wife drop in when things arent going well heats right back up
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

the 24" out feed line it doesnt take much of the heat, i just have the wife drop in when things arent going well heats right back up

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Steve Clardy Guest
    Your ears or the shop heats up?
    Inquiring minds want to know

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I've been thinking again. Run for the hills!

Well, if you didn't heed my warning, here's my thought. I am planning to build a box on which I'll mount my Jet contractor's saw. I think I would use the space directly below the saw for dust collection access. I was wondering about getting a cheap, small, maybe used DC motor/blower assembly and installing it so the intake is attached directly to the dust collection port on the bottom of the saw. I'd probably use a short bit of DC flex hose to isolate vibration from the DC motor. The output would be fed to the existing DC with the canister filter.

What do you think?

Richard. You thinking something on the lines of one of those small 500cfm blowers that grizzly and penstate sells?

I have one of those small grizzlys, my first blower I purchased.
    Its fairly small.

Now Larry, don't go airing your private affairs here...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Richard. You thinking something on the lines of one of those small 500cfm blowers that grizzly and penstate sells?

I have one of those small grizzlys, my first blower I purchased.
    Its fairly small.

Steve, yeah. I was thinking about something like that. With Menard's selling a low end jet DC there are some of these things listed for sale used in the Mayo and IBM classifieds. I have always passed them up before but might consider buying one if this idea might work.

The TS seems to be the most difficult tool in my shop as far as good dust collection goes. I thought I'd maybe even have enough guts with a blower underneath to run an overarm guard.

Last time I ran the dado set on the TS, I did it without cleaning out the cabinet first. It looked like a snow making machine and of course I was wearing a polar fleece long sleeve shirt. Some good suction would have been ideal.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly