New Sharpening stuff

Jim Burr

Based on some good advice and a little windfall, I picked up a Grizzly T10010 10" Wet Grinder. Shipping was very fast and the secondary order of a SVD-185 Turning tool jig made a world of difference. A dislike right off the bat...the water tray is really hard to set/remove and water change is based on removal. Could easily be ignorance on my part.
The supplied Square jig has an issue with the plastic inserts that ride on the horizontal bar...they are real cheap...IMHO. Once the 185 showed up...I was very happy!! Using the horizontal mount, sharpening downhill...I put about 15lbs of pressure on the gouge/wheel and was not able to stop it. In the spindle gouge photo, you’ll notice some variation at the bottom of the grind…this is me getting used to operation and has no effect on the function. The polishing wheel, leather and treated with oil (user treatment) is about an inch wide and good for knives/planers blades, but not so for turning gouges...with such a wide variety of uses...I didn't mind only doing the outside of the gouge. I sharpened 4 gouges and a huge scraper in 6-8 minutes. The finish was “slice my skin off” sharp. On 2 occasions, my tools have been sharpened on a Tormek; I was able to watch both times and the second...I was able to get a hands-on, both times...razor sharp. I was able to reproduce this on the Griz. If you can grab a used Tormek for a fair price...cool!!! If not, the Grizzly is a great choice so far. Not a paid spokesman…just a happy customer.

Attachments

• griz 2.jpg
    griz 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 40
  • griz1.jpg
    griz1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Very cool. :thumb:

If you want to, you can probably add a profiled MDF honing wheel that's attached outside the leather wheel you already have. You can put a couple of different profiles on it to hone the inside of your gouges.

You mentioned putting oil on the leather honing wheel. Did they also include any honing compound with the grinder? If not, let me know, and I can set you up with some of mine.

Yes sir they did. Not sure how it all works together yet..but wow!!!...these things are sharp!! I used the same stuff you showed me...angle, pressure and so on...very happy!!! At some point the profile wheel will show up.
Richard Raffin came to Dale Nish's shop one day (true story). Did a sharpen on a bowl gouge while they were chatting. Nish said "Don't you want to hone that?" Raffin said "That pass I just made...the hone would be gone." I think a hone helps for removing burrs. But I need a diamond leveler and a better squaring jig first.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

Congrats on the new toy. I think you will be real happy. The water tank on my Jet Slow Speed is an awkward, cheap thing also. I have had several people tell me that the Jet tank is much better than the Tormek. So all I am saying is, "Welcome to the Slow Speed world."

Stay sharp, have fun and don't cut yourself.

Enjoy,

Jim

ps Ruffin takes off more in one swipe than I do in ten. Dang but that makes me jealous.
With my limited experience, I cannot see that using the leather wheel improves anything.

Gratz on the new toy and thanks for the review. Ive been looking into this one myself.
$64,000.00 question. Will Tormek or Jet accessories fit the Griz? I know none of them will tell you yes or no but do you know if the shafts etc are the same? If so then you may be able to get better fixtures to replace the ones you aren't so happy with.
Just a thought....

Gratz on the new toy and thanks for the review. Ive been looking into this one myself.
$64,000.00 question. Will Tormek or Jet accessories fit the Griz? I know none of them will tell you yes or no but do you know if the shafts etc are the same? If so then you may be able to get better fixtures to replace the ones you aren't so happy with.
Just a thought....

Hey Rich,
from my $.29 of expericence and the research done on the web...yes. As stated...I have one Griz jig and one Tormek jig. Tormek jigs are reputed to fit the Griz. Only 2 oddballs don't...but will with minor mods. So far, based on my needs and the cost...very happy:thumb:

Last edited:
So what jigs would you all that have used them say are the best of the three? (and preferably useable on any of the three)

I picked up a Tormek from a Estate type sale just over a year ago for $185 with the turning stuff (not doing that YET), just waiting on found money to buy the flat tool jigs. (and was hoping for a sale)

So far, I have the 185; Turning Tool Jig, Squaring Jig and that's it. I'm getting the wheel dresser next. One thing I did...may or may not be helpful...I noticed the small metal particles were rusting in the bottom of the tray even after I emptied it. I dropped in a couple .25" rare earth magnets to pick of the particles.