Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installation issue...

Question Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installation issue...

Hi folks,

A couple of days ago I got a message that Windows Update had some updates to install. I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) and I clicked on the the window to start the process. It said that there was one important and three optional updates to install. I decided to just install the important one at that time. I started the install and it took probably fifteen minutes and then I got a failed update message. I decided to deal with it later. Well I've tried it at least four more times and it's failed each time. I then checked into the troubleshooting info and it said that I could download it directly from Microsoft, so I tried that. It took a good half hour to download and then almost a half hour to install. It too failed!

Is there anyone out there running Windows 7 (64 bit) that has been able to install the SP1 update? Being that it's a Service Pack, it's probably a fairly important update to install.

Thanks for any input.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I've had a couple issues with the automatic updates, they just seem to go off into never land. This is when you get the message in the bar in the right lower corner of the desktop.

To work around it, I had to go into the control panel and install the updates that way. It seems to solve the problem for me.

Good luck!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

John, I have 7 and 64 bit. I did it Friday and went right through. No problems.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I have windows 7 and 64 bit as well....and for the record.......I hate it
    Do you hear me Microsoft ????? I hate it ...I hate it.....I hate it.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

I've got Win 7 Pro 64 on the computer I built this Spring, and I've had no problems with it. What is it you don't like about it Tom?
    I installed the Service pack 1 almost immediately after getting the machine up and running. Seems I did have a problem at first getting any Windows updates to load, then I remembered I hadn't registered the program and my computer with Microsoft. Since then, no problem at all. Have you done that yet? (That is, if you loaded the program yourself. If it was preloaded on the computer for you, I'd double check to make sure it was done as part of the builder's work. If not, register and you should be good.) If this was already done and you are having problems, I've got no clue. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I bought and installed W7 a while ago when I upgraded my laptop with a solid-state hard drive. I'm fairly certain that I registered the program once I was finished with the install but I'll have to check. One of the troubleshooting steps it to validate the program. I did that and it seems to have passed so that probably isn't the problem. I'm getting an error code 80004005 so I'm searching for info on that.

Thanks guys!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

John,

You may wish to try here: http://www.sevenforums.com/

I found this thread, there are tons of others: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...0004005-a.html

Thanks,

Bill

[QUOTE=Jim O'Dell;291381] What is it you don't like about it Tom?
    QUOTE]

Oh where do I start..........the biggest problem for me is compatibility issues with programs/products I already own but can now no longer use. I have a 250 gig hard drive that has years worth of photos on it that I cannot access because windows 7 64 bit does not recognize that drive (manufacture of drive acknowledges this issue)....I have a $150.00 scanner that is now junk...because the software will not work with windows 7 (Epson says no substitute for it.) I have "word" documents that cannot be read with out buying new Microsoft office. I have a $700.00 Photo shop program that will no longer run. I just spent another $130.00 for a screen color calibrator because mine is not compatible with windows 7....oh and now the screen will not maintain a calibrated setting because windows 7 thinks it always knows best and defaults back to a setting it likes not what I set it to default to....still working on this issue......anyone know how to fix that?
    The list goes on and on.
    It's like telling me I need to start speaking Chinese because it's "easier". Can it be done...yes...but that doesn't make things easier!
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

The word problem is like that every time you change machines. From what I have found, you have to buy another copy of Office. Just part of the game. Switch to Google Open docs and that will never happen again, from what I have been told.

Your ext hard drive? I don't know why it wouldn't open. Mine has been on 3 different machines and always worked. I do take all the installed crap off of it, soon as it is home. I turn it into a big thumb drive.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Tom,
    As far as problems with Microsoft Office, I say DUMP IT! A couple years ago I tried to reload my copy of Office but the disc was damaged. It was an older version and I didn't want to drop a couple hundred bucks for a new copy. I checked out OpenOffice.org. I downloaded and installed it, haven't looked back! It works as well as Office ever did and it's FREE!

John