Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your nemesis?

Matt Dunlap Guest

What's your nemesis?

Last edited by Matt Dunlap; 04-01-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    For me, the nemesis has to be glue-up. I always do a dry fit, but somehow the actual glue-up goes way differently. Either there's not enough glue or too much or something is out of alignment and I don't notice until all the clamps are off! Enough to turn a guy into a turner.
    Don't believe everything you think!

Drawers - fitting them, getting the gaps right, to use or not to use a center drawer guide. I seem to do a lot of dressers, nightstands, etc, and I always fight.

Hinges used to be number 1, but have moved down to 2. For some reason I seem to have gotten the hang of them.

My whole shop.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    My whole shop.

For me, it's visualizing angles and such, basic geometry. I seem to need the actual pieces in hand to see how things will fit together.

Dan
    "A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down."
    Robert Benchley

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    For me, the nemesis has to be glue-up. I always do a dry fit, but somehow the actual glue-up goes way differently. Either there's not enough glue or too much or something is out of alignment and I don't notice until all the clamps are off! Enough to turn a guy into a turner.
    I'm with you Jesse - hate glue up....or rather, glue up hates me. I do all the steps - dry fit, clamp it up dry, check all the corners and joints...

doesnt matter. Still comes back to bite me!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Creativity

I need pictures before I start anything. For the life of me the things I come up with on my own look horrible.
    Jim

Tape measures. I seem to have an uncanny ability to misread the tape, check it to make sure I've read the thing wrong, then cut a piece too short. Seems like its never too long.

I used to have trouble with hinges at work, but once I left that job and made my own jigs, it all got a lot easier. Maybe that was just practice though. I still have trouble with some of those wrap around, half lap, semi-overlay hinges that have screws going in three different directions. I avoid those things at all costs.

John

Mine is all the above +
    cant leave it alone, even when it right.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Applying finish (paint, varnish, whatever) to something very carefully and then leaving it to dry only to discover dribbles the next day.
    Cheers, Frank