What's your nemesis?

Drawers - fitting them, getting the gaps right, to use or not to use a center drawer guide. I seem to do a lot of dressers, nightstands, etc, and I always fight.

Hinges used to be number 1, but have moved down to 2. For some reason I seem to have gotten the hang of them.

For me, the nemesis has to be glue-up.:eek: :eek: I always do a dry fit, but somehow the actual glue-up goes way differently. Either there's not enough glue or too much or something is out of alignment and I don't notice until all the clamps are off! Enough to turn a guy into a turner.:rolleyes:
I'm with you Jesse - hate glue up....or rather, glue up hates me. I do all the steps - dry fit, clamp it up dry, check all the corners and joints...

doesnt matter. Still comes back to bite me! :eek: :dunno:

Tape measures. I seem to have an uncanny ability to misread the tape, check it to make sure I've read the thing wrong, then cut a piece too short. Seems like its never too long.

I used to have trouble with hinges at work, but once I left that job and made my own jigs, it all got a lot easier. Maybe that was just practice though. I still have trouble with some of those wrap around, half lap, semi-overlay hinges that have screws going in three different directions. I avoid those things at all costs.

John

Nemesis:
The inescapable or implacable agent of someone's or something's downfall.

That would absolutely have to be the correlation between my brain and my hands. They seem to have entirely different interpretations of the picture of the end product. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

Anything sticky and permanent.

Epoxy, silicone, construction adhesive, instant glues, roofing tar

don't matter, its on me.

They are all called mustard 'round here.

Per

Sometimes its laying out a cabinet with multiple openings.
Say an 8' lower base cabinet that will take 3 sets of double doors.

Getting those 2 center divider panels in there equally:huh:
Measure fifteen times and still have one section off an 1/8"
What doesn't help, is plywood being a 1/32 under 3/4. :(

I usually hit about 1 in 3 :huh: :eek: :dunno:

I know I have problems with it, and can literally wear a tape out making sure its correct before moving on to the face frame.

I'm not ambitious. I just want to make ONE 90 degree cut someday. Just one! Not 89.8, not 90.3... ;) Just want to put my square up to something and have it be actually, truly square! ;)

Is that too much to ask? I've been trying for going on three years now. Someday, I'm sure I'll do it, completely by accident, and I'll probably faint dead away! ;)

Don't get me wrong... I actually get things made. But everything I make is just slightly twisted! I know, I know, the gods are punishing me for some forgotten prideful act, sometime in my sordid existence, but their vengence is getting a little unseemly. By the way: Nemesis was a woman. Maybe she's taking revenge for one of her sisters? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Finishes are my Achille's heel. I've told a few people that my woodwork is free, but I charge for the finish.

Per's comment about roofing tar reminds me of an old buddy of mine, Guido. One day we were up on the roof of a cabin getting ready to patch a few places with pooky (the scientific term for asphaltic roofing cement), and Guido scooped up a bit of pooky on the trowel and smeared it on the thigh of his jeans. He said no matter how hard he tried, he knew he'd get some on himself, so he figured he's just get it out of the way at the beginning so he didn't have to worry about it. :D

Per's comment about roofing tar reminds me of an old buddy of mine, Guido. One day we were up on the roof of a cabin getting ready to patch a few places with pooky (the scientific term for asphaltic roofing cement), and Guido scooped up a bit of pooky on the trowel and smeared it on the thigh of his jeans. He said no matter how hard he tried, he knew he'd get some on himself, so he figured he's just get it out of the way at the beginning so he didn't have to worry about it. :D
In Northern Ontario, the scientific term for pooky is GOOP and I done exactly what your friend Guido did for exactly the same reason.

Yep, finishes do me in every time, part of it is I don't have the place to do a nice finish, and part is that I'm still finding where to buy the finishes I want to use!

:D

Deadlines. I can build the same thing twice, once at my pace and again on a deadline. The my pace project will look pretty good. The deadline project will look like a 4th grader built it and will still be past the deadline.

2nd place, Finishing, Not good at it, never was and probably never will.

Visualizing a finished project. I just don't have that ability. I'll get an idea, put it together and hope all along the way that it looks like something acceptable. I can't copy a shape on a lathe even with the picture in front of me. I do what I do and it comes out the way it comes out.