Sandpaper Disc Station

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
Well, Rockler just gave me a good idea to make a sandpaper disk put-er on-er :rofl: for my Festool sander. Problem is the precious flat surface it would take up.
I figure I could make a low cut doublewide version and install a sliding tray inside the bottom of my Festool accessories cabinet. That would eliminate the different boxes of various grit disks and free up the room for this disk station. :thumb:
What do you think? Any better ideas? :dunno:

24041-03-500.jpg

24041-02-500.jpg

24041-01-500.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17196

DT

Sounds like plan Don. I'm just a po' boy and can't afford the Festool goodies, so I am not sure what the accessories cabinet looks like, but those trays look like they could adapt to all kinds of configurations. If you try it and it isn't the best option, what are you out?

I made something like this a while back just to store the discs. But I don't have the fancy put-er-on-er posts so I just mounted mine to the wall. Easy storage and out of the way. But I have to mount my discs the old-fashioned way. ;)

Sounds like plan Don. I'm just a po' boy and can't afford the Festool goodies, so I am not sure what the accessories cabinet looks like, but those trays look like they could adapt to all kinds of configurations. If you try it and it isn't the best option, what are you out?

Hi Ed,
I will make my own accessories cabinet. I don't mind paying the money for a good tool but the money Festool wants for a plastic box is ridiculous. :rofl:
It will probably just be the bottom of one of the wall cabinets or maybe even a large drawer at my work table.
It would be free to try a design ot two. There is always a scrap or two around waiting for something like this. :thumb:

DT

I made something like this a while back just to store the discs. But I don't have the fancy put-er-on-er posts so I just mounted mine to the wall. Easy storage and out of the way. But I have to mount my discs the old-fashioned way. ;)

Let's see what you have there Tim?
I figured I could use 1/4" ply for the trays and a dowel or two sized closest to the holes in the disks. There are a lot of sanders that could use these. Not just Festool.
You know? Mounting it as a mini station out of the way somewhere is a great idea! :doh: I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks Tim :thumb:

DT

Looks like the kind of thing for the man who has everything, and from the looks of some of your shop pics, you've just about got everything, so I'd say go for it Don. Doublewide would be twice as good. :thumb:

I saw those and had a similar thought. I've got a old store display sandpaper rack, but I use it for my square sandpaper. I like the fancy mounting post idea for the round stuff, and the rest of the fabrication would only take a few minutes.

Last edited:
It's not fancy!

haha.. well, it's not much to look at Don, but here ya go. I made it a little bigger than it needed to be for my current sander but I wanted it to handle the larger discs that would be used by that Festool 150/5 that I someday hope to buy. ;)

Didn't take much to build it so I'm not showin' off but I had to laugh when I first saw the Rockler version - guess it was a good idea at least. For me, I just got tired of digging around to find the right grits - they always got mixed up. So, just a simple solution and mounted right next to where I do most of my sanding. Again, I don't have the mounting posts - just storage and accesibility.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 64
Looks like the kind of thing for the man who has everything, and from the looks of some of your shop pics, you've just about got everything, so I'd say go for it Don. Doublewide would be twice as good. :thumb:
I saw those and had a similar thought. I've got a old store display sandpaper rack, but I use it for my square sandpaper. I like the fancy mounting post idea for the round stuff, and the rest of the fabrication would only take a few minutes.

I certainly don't have everything Vaughn. This shop is something I have sworn I'd build for 30 years.
I'm retired, I'm single, why not. :thumb:
I'm over halfway finished with it now. I'll say one thing about trying to put together a total shop in two years. You REALLY have to like beans. :rofl:

DT

haha.. well, it's not much to look at Don, but here ya go. I made it a little bigger than it needed to be for my current sander but I wanted it to handle the larger discs that would be used by that Festool 150/5 that I someday hope to buy. ;)

Didn't take much to build it so I'm not showin' off but I had to laugh when I first saw the Rockler version - guess it was a good idea at least. For me, I just got tired of digging around to find the right grits - they always got mixed up. So, just a simple solution and mounted right next to where I do most of my sanding. Again, I don't have the mounting posts - just storage and accesibility.

That's exactly what I have in mind Tim. Just add the dowels to the trays.
You should mass produce those and join the lime green forum. Rockler says half price is $14.xx ;) :rofl:

Thank You

DT

I don't know how to say this with out belittling the idea.

Folks that is not my intention at all.

I like it. It goes to my sense of organization.

But.

I find two things in our sanding endeavors.

We use a heck of a lot of it.

It curls.

So the little station isn't big enough and if it was,

when the paper curled...well you get the idea.

This is about a 1/4 of our always updated stash.

Per

Attachments

• sandpaper.jpg
    sandpaper.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 84
I like it too but I agree with Per, especially in this humidity we have in FL.

I keep my paper in the orginal boxes

And then put a couple of disks of each grade in the systainer with my Rotex, so I've got paper at hand when I start a job. I keep them stacked in order, so I just swap from the pile as I move through a job

Jay

Per, for me, that's a lifetime supply of disks! :D :D :thumb:

I had just ordered the little holder from Rockler - right now my disks are just tossed in the bin with the sander. I figure a little more organization would be appropriate.:rolleyes:

Wes

Wes, you nailed it! That is a lifetime supply of paper you got there Per! I don't blame you, I wouldn't think of it if my supply looked anything like that. I like the dedicated cabinet.

I'll keep an eye on the curling issue, as you can see in the pic there is a little of that going on but I've not noticed it to be a problem once it's on the sander. Then again, I live way up north here so maybe it's more of climate issue.

Hey Don - let us know what you end up doing. As for mass production, good thinking but I've got too many things on the 'honey-do' list. ;)

I don't know how to say this with out belittling the idea.

Folks that is not my intention at all.

I like it. It goes to my sense of organization.

But.

I find two things in our sanding endeavors.

We use a heck of a lot of it.

It curls.

So the little station isn't big enough and if it was,

when the paper curled...well you get the idea.

This is about a 1/4 of our always updated stash.

Per

WOW! Compared to what you have there Per, what I keep on hand would be just a lil snakey lick. :rofl:
You have a very good point. I wouldn't have thought of it until I learned the hard way. :doh:

Thank You

DT

I like it too but I agree with Per, especially in this humidity we have in FL.

I keep my paper in the orginal boxes

And then put a couple of disks of each grade in the systainer with my Rotex, so I've got paper at hand when I start a job. I keep them stacked in order, so I just swap from the pile as I move through a job

Jay

Jay, you just had the best idea and didn't know it. :D
I'll make a round tray with the dowels and keep a few in the systainer on that. There are two holes in the systainer, I could keep at least two different grits. Double sided tape should keep it tacked down long enough to see if it would work well. If it does, I can really secure it later. :thumb:

DT

Too organized for the likes of me... I are a natural born slob.... I keep mine in the box they come in also, when I rip off a used one and it is not yet dead, I hang it on a pegboard hook to do some scratch sanding or junque work, later.

However should you will that fine looking device to me I would be most appreciative, :thumb: however my ROS has 8 holes on one and 5 on the other. I usually buy those 3M Blue disc that have the combo holes.

Don, if you use the idea you have and add a round cutout of ply or whatever, you can place that on top of the paper to prevent curling. If you go through paper like Per, then something like that wouldn't be worthwhile.

I actually ordered one and I'm going to see if it can be modified for Festool.

I made one a couple of years ago, Disk Server and have since made more and updated ot for Festool.

The disks will curl if you store the paper on the pins and if the pins are a loose fit. but if you use 3/8" dowels sanded down a little and space them accurately the disks are tight and wont curl.

I usually dont store the disks on the server but load it when I'm sanding simply because it is less frustrating to use it to align the holes then doing it by hand.

Nice looking storage unit.

But they are out for me.
I use PSA paper, and cannot risk getting dust on the discs.
Upside down like that, I guess they would maybe make great fly traps:huh: :D :D :D

Anyways, I keep about as much paper as our ol' buddy Per there shows in his cabinet.
I keep all mine in the original boxes, in one humongus drawer.

Don, if you use the idea you have and add a round cutout of ply or whatever, you can place that on top of the paper to prevent curling. If you go through paper like Per, then something like that wouldn't be worthwhile.

Good idea Ed, I could actually put the device itself on top of the disks in the box, then just use it with one disk at a time. It would be easy enough to add a little weight to it. :thumb:

DT