I am so happy and a bit in disbelieif

I'm getting settled in. I have loged in 100 miles in 3 evening. Back roads neighborhoods and some in town riding but not rush hour. I did have a nasty back smashup this morning, have not had one of them in 10 years. It quickly subsided.

I am wondering when I should take the training wheels off ? :huh::rofl:

What kind of bike do you have Dave?

I assume that the MSF course emphasized using the front brake, something that many self-taught riders are leery of. How is that working out for you so far?

The only points I lost in the test at the end of the class were a result of my reliance on the rear brake alone. Early in my riding "career" I forced myself to use only the front brake for a week (except for emergency stops). The front brake and I have been great friends ever since. :wave:

I have a 883 2005 Sportster bored out with a 1200 kit.
So far I am riding and stopping smoothly, front and rear breaks, good at SEE and the other technics they tough us.
What was neat during the test, at the last obstacle which was the quick stop, the rider coach asked me after I stopped : are you in 1st ? I pushed down on the gear lever and got a big smile. I think he was looking to give me a deduction or happy that I "A"ed the test. Supposed to rain this afternoon so I road to work with riding in the ran in mind to get a feel for my bike on wet roads.

So far I am riding and stopping smoothly, front and rear breaks, good at SEE and the other technics they tough us.
Awesome! It's great to have that "in control" feeling. It will continue to grow with time and miles (and "experiences").

Supposed to rain this afternoon so I road to work with riding in the ran in mind to get a feel for my bike on wet roads.
Good thinking! I used to (help) moderate a motorcycle forum, and I always encouraged new riders/owners to "experiment" like that. If they were planning to do any long rides, I even suggested that they allow the bike to go on Reserve a few times while close to home, so they could know how many miles they could expect to get out of a full tank. (The GS500 doesn't have a fuel gauge or light....)

Keep pushing the envelope, a little at a time. :thumb:

Filled up at Lunch time , just about 2 gal's. I am getting about 125 MPT. Only 2 things I am looking at to accessorize with right now, forward break and clutch, and a quick release full windshield for when I head to Va to hunt. Bugs beat my van windshield up every time so it would be better them slamming A WINDSHIELD on the bike then slamming me.

When I took my riding test here in Washington to replace my California license they asked me to bring the bike up to 25 MPH & slam on the brakes, so I did & the tires left short marks on the pavement they asked me to do it again & then said your sure not afraid of using the brakes.( perfectly dry clean flat blacktop) So I asked is there some reason I should be? No answer.

I tend to apply the front brake just a split second after the back brake but observing it in action you'd never notice.

Dave all i can say is take it easy. I have a whole year of hospital in my past and two bike accidents and a gammy leg now as a result of two bikes and my youth.;) Its not your driving thats a concern. Its the other guys.

Had a drunk pull out directly in front of me once. = Hopsital.

Then

Had a guy stop dead in front of me tried to swerve to miss him and handle bars got caught = one year in hospital.

I like bikes but there aint much protection when things get bad.

Keep safe watch the other guys on the road.