Saving Versions of Your SU Models

Thaks Dave. Force of habit from my real job; I save file versions by adding an incrementing number each time I make a significant change. Well, almost each time. There have been times I have had to go back and re-do work after my cobbled together PC has frozen . . . can't expect too much from the machine I use at home ;-)

The Archiver Ruby script looks very cool and quicker and easier as well. I'm going to give it a try.

Thaks Dave. Force of habit from my real job; I save file versions by adding an incrementing number each time I make a significant change. Well, almost each time. There have been times I have had to go back and re-do work after my cobbled together PC has frozen . . . can't expect too much from the machine I use at home ;-)

The Archiver Ruby script looks very cool and quicker and easier as well. I'm going to give it a try.

Ditto this...both parts. :thumb:

Dave there is also a package my software developers used to prevent this kind of issue when working on source code.

The package is called source safe, its essentially a database but it keeps the original and you check out and check in the newer version. In this way it keeps the versions automatically. Saved our bacon many many a time.
This way no need to number or make folders etc.

Actually it was part of the Visual Studio developers tools. Not sure on the latest situation

Glenn i am suprised you admins dont use something like this in your system admin.

Decades ago (gulp!) I did some development work using a VAX 11/750 running the VMS operating system. It did the save-as-old-name-plus-1 trick automatically. Excellent idea, assuming of course you had sufficient disc space, which was definitely an issue in the days of 1Mb 14" disc packs.

I can sort of see why it got almost forgotten during the early days of personal computers; small discs, crappy processors, unbelievably badly thought out file systems and so on. Now, it really ought to be normal. My phone has more compute power than the entire IBM research lab I used to work had back then!

Of course, it is, almost, now there is OS X Lion and once various applications get their act together to make use of it.