Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Coach (RV) amazing feature

Custom Coach (RV) amazing feature

On a whim, I checked out Powerhouse Coach. Now I know that barring a large lottery win I'll never own one of these. but they've got two pretty wild additional features

First, for the average (avg? those who afford these coaches aren't 'average' by any means I know of) coach driver who doesn't want to learn to back up his trailer, a self propelled trailer!

self propelled trailer & lateral drive coach

I thought that was pretty neat, then I clicked on the 'lateral drive' coach... they use the same hydraulics system to move the rear end of the coach in tight quarters.

the ex Trucker in me says 'no fair, that's cheating', but the geek in me thinks it is a pretty neat system.
    -Ned

A 52' straight seems pretty risky to me. I don't care if the rear wheels think for themselves. I've driven and pulled some big stuff and IMHO, 35' is the safe max. for a straight vehicle. My goodness, here in the Ozarks, that 52 footer couldn't be driven on the winding roads without cutting off curves and smashing oncoming cars.

Frank if I ever did win the big one (dollar and a dream...)

I'd get a 'toterhome' with a nice lounge up front, and a 40' 5th wheel behind it.

Those behemoths there are designed for interstate only, plus they've easily got 8' of overhang out back, so they drive 'shorter'. I go there for drool factor only, trust me.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Frank if I ever did win the big one (dollar and a dream...)

I'd get a 'toterhome' with a nice lounge up front, and a 40' 5th wheel behind it.

Those behemoths there are designed for interstate only, plus they've easily got 8' of overhang out back, so they drive 'shorter'. I go there for drool factor only, trust me.
    Hafta be interstate. Even driving 'shorter' that 8' rear overhang would take out trees and cars on our Ozark curves.
    Driving a straight or towing a camper, I believe 35' is a safe limit. And a 35' camper, trailer or 5th wheel is still a pretty roomy thing.
    Sorry to tell you this, but I'm going to win the next Lotto.

now frank.... I hate to parade on your rain....

that's what I'd get... and then set up a shop in the back for those days in the campground when I got a hankering for sawdust...

-Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post

now frank.... I hate to parade on your rain....

that's what I'd get... and then set up a shop in the back for those days in the campground when I got a hankering for sawdust...

I worked as an accounts manager at a local membership campground for several years. We would see rigs like that come in from time to time. And even a few that would make this one look puny. I know some were in the $500,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 range. So big and cumbersome, I would think they wouldn't be fun to drive or use. Each to his own.

Come on guys if you win the lottery (the big one) then what you really need is this...... Not some slow RV that can't negotiate oceans and mountains!

hmmm,
    i think I can rent time on one of those, then there's those pesky 5 star hotels to put up with.
    -Ned

I'll have to check the coach's out later. On a side note though My Sister and her husband sold their house recently and bought a new 1ton dodge and a used 32ft holiday rambler 5th wheel. They are still in VA in a campground arranging things. Coming up here this summer and working at a campground over in W.Pa then they are off to who knows where.

She has been researching this for over two years. When she was looking at trucks I actually had her looking at the business class Freightliners. The only reason she ended up with the Dodge was BIL employer got a deal with Chrysler to by at 1% under invoice.

If I were looking at a 5th wheel camper for 'average' use (still lottery win $ for my budget)

So long as they don't overload the trailer,and it is matched to the GCWR of the truck, they should do ok with the one ton dodge. Medium duty rigs are great, and if I could afford one and Needed one, I'd go with an M2 extended cab and a basic utility bed.
    -Ned