You're gonna need a bigger boat...

Ted Calver

Staff member
…she said. Yup, it takes up a little more room than I thought, but no more sticking my elbow into that sharp pointy thing on the tail stock. Posted elsewhere, but thought I'd share here too. Been wanting to do some deeper hollowing and longer spindles, so I ordered a bed extension for my PM4224 from the Norfolk VA Woodcraft during their last sale. Got a call from the owner next day saying Powermatic no longer made the long (65”) bed extension and offering to return my money. I said I’d rather have the extension and mentioned I had seen it for sale from some on-line vendors, he double checked with Powermatic and got the same answer but he said he’d see if he could end run PM and order the parts separately. Eventually I ended up with a regular bed that I had to modify to do the job. I know they probably didn’t sell all that many but you would think a major manufacturer like PM would support the accessories in their catalog for a line of equipment they are still actively selling. Makes me wonder if a new lathe might be in the works??
FW-L1.jpg
Anyway, here’s proof you can hook two 4224’s together.
FW-L-2.jpg
I had to bore out the threads in the new bed and do a little grinding so the bolts would fit, but after a few hours of fiddling and a little honing here and there, everything lined up and she’s ready to rumble at a little over 8'4" useable.
FW-L3.jpg, FW-L4.jpg

Way to go Ted, you sure gonna be able to turn telephpone poles on that baby. Wow. Nice job you did of matching the ends together.:thumb:

Looking forward to seeing what you get up to now.;)

That's gonna be one big bottle stopper, Ted. :D Looks real good, and I doubt you'll be running into any length limitations for a while. :thumb: