Marking Knife for flatworkers

Rob Keeble

Ok so maybe some of you flatworkers have this tool, for me its one i want to make myself.

Each time i mess with using a pencil in my shop to mark out anything for woodworking measurements i keep meaning to get my hands on a decent marking knife.

So i saw the Czeck tools marking knife at LV for $44 and figured hang on there.

Look up Czeck tools website store and you can get the blade as a kit with instructions for $20. Very very nice guy runs this business. Made in USA too.

So i ordered me one and last time i was at LV picked up an exotic pen blank or two and am gonna make one.

If you want to do the same join me. This is my in between finishing Vanity project. My lathe is feeling it needs some TLC and i need some quick get er done projects to keep me happy.;):D

Here is a link to Czeck tools website and the template in pdf as well as some tips to take note of in making one of these.

I will update this thread as i progress. I have had the kit for some time.

Ok Larry you can join me and do it in the flat.:) Mine will be spinny and maybe a little flat just feel the need to turn something small.

Also Ed Thomas gave me a piece of wood to use so i gotta get my act together before he complains, hey Ed?

I've always used X-ACTO knives with a #11 blade. There are different handles to pick from.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Hey Steve, I am still here but did you hear of the tortise and the hare. My name aint Allen. Its more like well you pick.

I got the blade got the wood but procrastinating over which wood to use. Should have bought more blades but already got reprimanded for that one.

You can run ahead of the pack if you like. :)

I will post as i go but i am hoping its a one session event for me otherwise :dunno: i think i will beat myself up. I am a bachelor this weekend no kids, no missus so its all mine.:D No honey do list not that i ever follow or get honey do lists, my honey knows better. Remember where i got married.;) We still drove on the right side of the road.:D

A little slow to post, sorry.

This marking knife takes its style from Pat Leach's copy of a 19th C knife. It's made of padauk and the blade is freehand ground from an old plane blade. The overall length is about 7". There are flats on the sides to keep it from rolling off the bench and impaling my feet. I use this for everything: marking, slitting, opening envelopes.

Let me know if the image is too dark. I don't have a good lighting setup, but I'll try.

Attachments

• DSC04784.jpg
    DSC04784.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 41
very nice Bruce, you beat me. I like the round bit on the top end. :)

See Larry they can be made round and not roll off the bench. ;)

I cannot wait to get at it making mine. Vanity table is eating up all available shop time.
sent from my Atrix