Show Me Your Wood Storage!!!

Boards, sheets, offcuts, scraps.

They all gotta go someplace.

How do you keep yours organized?

Lets see your wood storage ideas!!!!!

If you already have a thread dedicated to your wood storage, please post a link!

To be fair, here's mine. In the process of moving into my new shop. It's a mess.

Sheet good leaning against a shelf to get them out of the way for wiring:

2007 02 27 002.jpg

Scraps:

2007 02 27 006.jpg

This is actually in my garage. Can you find the wood?

wood.jpg

Cheap and Dirty..... Humm. Maybe I should change my woodworking sides name to Cheap and Dirty Woodworks. Or Cheap and Dirty Furniture...... naaa, bad idea.

But my wood storage is cheap and dirty. It is two sided Grocery store racks. Shelves on one side and open for sheet goods on the other. Supports a ton of weight!

lumber1.jpg lumber2.jpg

Jeff

The pic is of the organized stuff. Scraps are in a large trashcan which occationally gets converted to kinlin.

jy_lumber_12312004.jpg

I haven't got much lumber to put on it yet. I just finished putting it up a few weeks ago.

100_1228.jpg

DT

Organized? :rofl:
Ya gotta be kidding.
I got a pile almost under my feet at the lathe.
A bunch leaning against the wall behind the bandsaw.
A cord-wood-like pile in the garage of mostly Osage Orange.
A semi-neatly stickered stack of rough sawn walnut planks that is somewhere hiding under cartons of precious/worthless 'stuff' my wife saves.
To embarrassing :eek: to show pictures.

There's little point in taking a picture of my wood storage unit. You can't see it under all the wood. I did draw it up in SU and could post it for you when I get home. Mine is a rolling cart although it doesn't roll very often. There's room on one side for sheet goods and lumber on the other.

Here's my lumber rack. I need to figure out something for sheet stock, currently it rests against the garage door.

Old pic after a cleanup. yada yada...:huh:

Attachments

• Lumber.jpg
    Lumber.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 235
Wow, how cool is this; I can have a little gloat about finally making myself a lumber store without have to be too obvious about it!

This one combines sheet storage with the Triton racks and some reinforcement for the wall of my double garage shop. I'll be using it for nearly-ready stick whilst the drying out rough stuff lives up in a neighbours barn.

Attachments

• LumberRack.jpg
    LumberRack.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 199
Here is mine.

Plywood rack on hinges, holds about 10 sheets. Nice to be able to swing it out. No secret compartments like Stu has....
plywoodrack1.jpg

Lumber rack with miter saw cab underneath and little wheeled boxes for shorts.
lumber_rack_1a.jpg Lumber_rack_2a.jpg

Well, I don't have all the hard cash to keep a lot on hand, or really a good place to store all too much wood, but here's my lumber rack.

wood-rack.jpg

Hey Lee! I like that lumber rack but I pulled that lathe tool rack off onto my desk top for future reference. Great idea! :thumb:
I can see several applications of that around the shop if you don't mind my stealing it. :rofl:

DT

Hey Lee! I like that lumber rack but I pulled that lathe tool rack off onto my desk top for future reference. Great idea! :thumb:
I can see several applications of that around the shop if you don't mind my stealing it. :rofl:

DT

don you gonna get a bad rep.. were gonna have to call ya the masked bandit:D one good thing about freindly forums they dont mind sharun ideas.

don you gonna get a bad rep.. were gonna have to call ya the masked bandit:D one good thing about freindly forums they dont mind sharun ideas.

Hi there Larry,
I'm sure to mention when I steal an idea. This place is a gold mine for a person building a shop from scratch.
One thing for sure though, in all seriousness, if that person has plans for that idea and tells me he/she would rather me not duplicate it, I believe in the honor system. I would not use it. Just send me a PM.
However, if in the most highly improbable event that I should make something both inspiring AND useful, :rofl: you folks are welcome to it. :thumb:
I would like to thank each and every one of you for just allowing me to be here and learn from you. :)

DT

Heck, it's sure not my original design! Feel free to use it at will!

I will even up the ante a bit, these can be glued togather with normal PVC glue side to side with spring clamps. Large pipe drain can even make a wall cubbie for pen blanks, 2" pipe fits squeese bottles nice too!

My rack is just a "temp" until I start to build my "mega lathe station" cabinet on the wall, I may use the pipe rack into my design. One tip is to edge glue the pipes with the size rough cut first and line up the bottom edge on a board. Once this is done, set your TS to a 22.5 degree angle and cut the bevel all at once. Now they are perfect!