Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honing disposable planer blades

honing disposable planer blades

I have a 13" delta planer with disposable blades. I've found that it the ridgid, steel city and craftsman all use the same size blades. When I need new ones I've been getting them from Sears. It's the cheapest place I've found them and they cost around 25 bucks.

They are reversible and both sides of the blades have become dull. I know they aren't supposed to be resharpened. I thought I would try honing them and see if it made a difference before I went and got a new set.

I started by cleaning the blades. I then used some spray adhesive to glue some 600 grit wet dry paper to a 3/4 inch piece of mdf. I used wd 40 to lube the paper. I put the blades in a vice and honed the bevel by hand. I then placed the blade on a flat surface and honed the back of the blade. I did this to both sides. Man, did it make a difference. I ran a board through to test the cut and it was like a new set of blades.

I just thought this might help someone else.

Cool

Thank you,

That's good to know...
    Have Fun!
    A collection of mine...
    www.WoodworkStuff.net

I've got the Rigid planer John and have thought about doing the same thing. Of course it won't help nicks in the blade but honing sure won't hurt. For the sharpening aficionado's out there- you're probably aware that there is a big difference in how well a blade is honed and the relationship between that and how long a blade will hold it's edge. ( also the edge geometry) Of course this is related to both the blade material and hardness as well as what you are cutting with it.

I would guess that the manufacturer's set the angle of the blade in the cutter-head to a generic all around angle. Something that will cut most woods adequately. I have wondered if tipping the blade one way or the other might not allow for a better finish cut on figured woods. The shimming on the blade would have to be done right to keep the shims from exiting the planer as shrapnel. but if the blade was set with a dial indicator I imagine you could get it pretty true.

Maybe I'll have to run an experiment or two.............
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

I wonder if this would work on the DW735 type blades with their indexing holes. If its just honing i can see it working but if its taking off too much like a regrind then I would worry. Anyone tried this with the Dewalt?
    cheers

I have done as John said, and I also take my 12 1/2" Delta double sided blades to my Makita wet sharpener if I have light nicks with great results. I have sharpened them three times so far with no problem, However I am careful of how much I take off and would never try to go too far with them. A well worthwhile investment for me so far. Also do my joiner blades and plane irons to a point that they will easily shave hair on my arm.
    Chuck

There used to be a really good sharpening service close to home that told me they could resharpen the Delta blades 3 times before they needed to be replaced. I never measured the blades before and after, but I'm fairly certain they used a very light touch. Beats the dickens out of replacing them each time they get dull.

OTOH, it's a great source of high speed steel for marking knives, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    ...I thought I would try honing them and see if it made a difference before I went and got a new set.
    John,

My local tool guy, whom I trust, had this to say (over on the Canadian Woodworking Forum) when asked about re-sharpening the disposable blades on a DeWalt dw735:

"Who told you they could be sharpened? They cannot. If you sharpen them, it throws off the relationship between the knives/head and infeed/outfeed rollers. Might work once, if you just honed a hair off, but that is about it. "
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Thanks for the link Art.

I was under no impression that I could resharpen my blades. They're only about an inch wide. I was curious to see if a light honing on the blades would make them last longer. I only made about 15 or 20 passes on the bevel and then the back. I could still see the factory mill marks on the blades. I don't think I removed very much metal at all.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 07-06-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Art, I'm a tool and die guy and I would have to differ with your tool guy. I don't much use the stops on the planer and one can take off a fair amount of wood in one pass so I figure all you change is the maximum depth of cut in one pass. It would change the distance to the stop settings so that once the planer was down to the 3/4" stop it might be a little fat yet. That is a small problem vs the cost of new blades. If you sharpen the blades and they still cut then there is no problem.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Paul I think you misread my note. This is not about depth stops, it is about the relationship between the cutter head and the feed rollers that pull your board through.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood