Had a scare today!

John Pollman

I'm about 99% done with a big deck job I've been working on lately. I've been working my butt off in spite of the heat but I'm just about done. I should be able to finish up tomorrow. After cleaning up and quitting for the day today, I came home and the wife had just gotten home. I had to figure out what to do for dinner but I was so tired and hot that I suggested Chinese carryout. Sounded good to them so I picked up the phone and ordered. They said about fifteen minutes and it would be ready. They're just a couple miles down the street so I waited about ten minutes and then headed out to pick it up. I got about a mile and a half from home and was just about to the restaurant and even though it was about 7:00 in the evening, it was still very hot outside. I was only doing about 35 mph because Walton is all under construction. On the sidewalk up ahead, I noticed an electric wheel chair that was just sitting there not moving. As I got closer, I noticed someone slumped over in the chair and not moving. It did not look good. I was just about on top of the driveway of a fire station but hit the brakes and pulled into the left turn lane and swung into the parking lot of the fire station. There were a few vehicles in the parking lot so there must have been firemen in the station. I almost pulled up to the door and went in but decided to pull over as close as I could to where the chair was and check it out. I stopped the truck and jumped out and started over toward the chair, still no movement. At that point, I was pretty worried. I started to yell to see if I could get a response and I was only about thirty or forty feet from the chair, they finally sat up. I got to the chair and the girl in it had dropped something on the ground and I think she was having a hard time reaching it. I asked if everything was OK and she thanked me for stopping and said she was fine. With a sigh of relief, I headed back to the truck and went to pick up dinner. I really thought that because of the heat, they may have had some problems.

It's weird how time seems to kind of stand still in situations like that. It's like I don't even remember turning into the station but I obviously did because I was parked there. It's like you just go into autopilot or something and just react. Anyway, I'm glad she was OK and things worked out fine. Enough excitement for one day, I think I'll take a shower and relax. :)

John

Glad it wasn't an emergency and you took the time to check. Too many people just keep going and figure some one else will check it out. A sad but true reflection on our current society. Smaller communities are also closer connected. Big city people just don't care unless it is right in their face.

Off my soap box now.

Glad it wasn't an emergency and you took the time to check. Too many people just keep going and figure some one else will check it out. A sad but true reflection on our current society. Smaller communities are also closer connected. Big city people just don't care unless it is right in their face.

Off my soap box now.

X 2 you did what you knew to do.

goodonya for stopping.

I can't say I 'alway's stop, but volunteerism (?) is a strong trait in my household. The LOML is a semi-retired EMT/Firefighter (put in her 'life' membership since we're moving, yet still answers calls occasionally).