Beauty and the Beast Contest

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you here may already know about it, but the Woodturners America site is having a Beauty and the Beast contest to celebrate their first anniversary. The basic idea is that you submit photos of two pieces...a Beauty and a Beast (open to wide interpretation). The list of prizes is very impressive. If you're interested, go to their Contest Page and check things out. You have to be a member to enter the contest, but registration is quick, easy, and painless. The contest needs more participants. ;)

[Disclaimer: I'm affiliated with Woodturners America as a Resident Artist. I'm not eligible for the contest, but I'm looking forward to being one of the judges.] :)

What a shameless, opportunistic marketing ploy! BRAVO :thumb: I like that sort of thing. I might enter a dog, and then a dog with lipstick and see if one of them qualifies. :guitar:
Seriously, this is a very cool thing and I love the fact that the mentors are opening it up to the rest of us. I wish you and the site the very best for a long time. Nice job! Thanks.
Michael

I'm really struggling with this. I often see the most 'beastly' work as the most beautiful. And at the same time making anything beautiful is usually a beast for me. This should be interesting.

What a shameless, opportunistic marketing ploy! BRAVO :thumb: I like that sort of thing. I might enter a dog, and then a dog with lipstick and see if one of them qualifies. :guitar:
Seriously, this is a very cool thing and I love the fact that the mentors are opening it up to the rest of us. I wish you and the site the very best for a long time. Nice job! Thanks.
Michael

I put some lipstick on a pig...made SI's swimsuit cover...then we had bacon!!:rofl:

They just added another prize to the mix... A full blown Tormek set-up with the turner's package. Retail value on that mutha is around a grand(dollars not pesos)!:thumb:

Here's the kicker, you can't place in the top ten in either category(Beauty or Beast) to be eligible for the Tormek... In other words, you gotta lose to win.

Jim Burr is officially out of excuses!:D

I'm telling y'all, there are some seriously sweet prizes, and a small number of folks who are likely to enter. You've gotta be in it to win it. ;)

They just added another prize to the mix... A full blown Tormek set-up with the turner's package. Retail value on that mutha is around a grand(dollars not pesos)!:thumb:

Here's the kicker, you can't place in the top ten in either category(Beauty or Beast) to be eligible for the Tormek... In other words, you gotta lose to win.

Jim Burr is officially out of excuses!:D

Though not sure....I think I just got punk slapped:rofl::eek:...so if 22 enter...I'll still be 23:eek::doh::rofl:

Last edited:
Easy boys, there's plenty of prizes to go around. Looks like they just added a full Don Pencil hollowing system AND a complete DP buffing system to the prize list. Like the tormek, these two go in a drawing for folks who don't win something in the contest... Pretty amazing!